More good books

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2005
      Many thanks to Michael, Bill, Janet, and all who share their experiences and resources.

      I am trying to remember the titles of some excellent books I read and reported on a while back. Meanwhile, let's not forget some of the classics:

      The Slovaks of Hungary, written in 1906 by Thomas C~apek, has a lot of commentary on contemporary social conditions.

      Our Slavic Fellow-Citizens, 1910, Emily Balch. Fabulous book. You can find it neglected in public library closed stacks. Miss Balch spent a year in Central Europe researching her work on Slovak immigrants, among others. She paints a living portrait of the immigrant generation and their families back in Hungary.