Re: [S-R] Translation of Given Name

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2005
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@s...>
      wrote:
      > Bill, Quite a while ago a relative wrote to, I
      > believe, the Immigration/Naturalization Dept. in
      > Washington, DC to get her father's immigration papers.
      > Her father was my Uncle Alex Palesko who arrived on
      > the Ship: Grosserkurfuerst in 1904. On the documents
      > was additional information: Alex Palesko, 14, was
      > picked up his uncle Fanor Mojcher who lived at 72
      > Pembroke st. in Bridgeport, CT. Other info: Maria
      > Sarnyik, 18 years old, (Rusyn) from Gromos was sent by
      > an uncle to Uncle Aulon Timck from Gromos who now
      > lived at 764 Pembroke St. I did not see the documents
      > - she lived in MI and I in CA and she has since passed
      > away. Those were the notes I had written down.
      > Another entry: Ian Murcko, 14, from Wagas going to
      > Raggeley, PA pd $6 by his father and picked up by
      > mother Ann Palecko.
      >
      > Names are many times mispelled and later even changed.
      > My uncle chose to change the name Palesko to Polke -
      > no one knows why - but that became our family name!
      >
      > Genealogy has many corners and avenues - I am new at
      > this and perhaps using the word "translation" was
      > incorrect.
      >
      > Evelyn whose paternal family comes from Gromos/Hromos

      Evelyn,

      What you wrote about a Bridgeport connection was very interesting.
      My theory was that given name spelled Fanor had been written with
      a script letter J which had been mistranscribed as a script letter
      F and was actually meant to be the Hungarian name Ja'nos (H) Jan (Sk)
      John (E).

      On July 23, 1899 a Janos Mojcher, age 14, and a Janos Mojcher, age 9,
      from Gromos (H) Sáros megye (county), Hungary ; later Hromos^ S^aris,
      Slovakia , had emigrated to the address of their father J. Mojcher at
      31 Halet Street Bridgeport CT.

      Incidentally -sko is a common Rusyn surname ending.

      Frank K