Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation Help

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9 10:25 PM
      I will piggyback on Helene's answer with a few more words translated
      from the German. Since Helene used my way of separating words CAPS and
      <<>>, I will list them here:

      Zimmermann: occupation of roofing or framing carpenter
      Pfarrer: priest or minister.
      I would swear let is 'years' but in SLovak special usage or Lithuanian I
      cannot say.
      ledig: single (fits well with the marriage certificate)
      Schmid: Smith or Blacksmith
      THose are the German words. I can't comment on the Slovak, but it looks
      like Helene took care of that part!

      Ron

    • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11 8:56 AM
        I think everything's been answered on this except zupnik. In Croatian,
        a zupnik is a parish priest, it probably means the same in Slovenian.

        Joe Armata
        joe@...