Re: [S-R] Distant Cousin Web

  • Robert Shive
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2005
      This is going to be late to the discussion, but here goes. Distant Cousin appears to be a list of lists. I couldn't attest to its accuracy, but even Ancestry contains lots of duplicate names or variations on the same name. The best thing I've found on Distant Cousin is the list of phone books. I've been able to find several relatives and same-name surnames that turned out to be related. Searching can be frustrating, and sometimes it's tempting to latch onto a name one finds and construct a potential story around how it got to be where it was found. I think I've probably exceeded the legal limit for sounding like a fool. But one can learn from even stupid mistakes.

      EMSCRS@... wrote:I have not ever found a single person for whom I was actually searching at
      DistantCousin. What is really needed is something which will really help
      people learn HOW to search.

      Elizabeth
      Onancock, VA