Re: [S-R] Translation of Given Name

  • EMSCRS@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
      I don't see any, but going by the way my family's names were changed and
      mangled, Aulon could have become Alan.

      Elizabeth

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
        Dear Frank,
        I agree with the spirit of your reply.
        In this case someone asked me to find out what the names may be equivalent to.
        The only problem I see with your view is that there are at times up to three different way a single name may appear in records. There were the State spelling which could have been Hungarian, the Church which could be in Latin and the local vernacular which could have been Slovak. That being the case, which one would you choose to use on your family tree?
        Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
          Plichta.

          I had the impression that the person asking was trying to figure out to what
          their names might have been 'changed', regardless of why. My great-great
          grandparents, Johann and Verona, for reasons of their own became John and
          Veronica here, and that is how they are on their death certificates and the
          census. Their son, Alois, became Louis. I was not trying to suggest that changing
          names is a good thing, but if it happened it helps to have an idea what the
          change may have been so you know what to look for.

          Elizabeth

        • Evelyn Marsh
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
            Thank you Elizabeth and Mick. That's exactly what I
            meant!
            Evelyn
            --- EMSCRS@... wrote:

            ---------------------------------
            Plichta.

            I had the impression that the person asking was trying
            to figure out to what
            their names might have been 'changed', regardless of
            why. My great-great
            grandparents, Johann and Verona, for reasons of their
            own became John and
            Veronica here, and that is how they are on their death
            certificates and the
            census. Their son, Alois, became Louis. I was not
            trying to suggest that changing
            names is a good thing, but if it happened it helps to
            have an idea what the
            change may have been so you know what to look for.

            Elizabeth

            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
            send blank email to

            Terms of Service.
          • Frank R. Plichta
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 9, 2005
              Michael,

              I guess I missed the original request. I was commenting on the more narrow
              comment in your message that was simply:
              "Is there an English equivalent to the given names: Aulon and Fanor?
              Michael Mojher"
              I was unaware that someone had posted an earlier comment or the context in
              which the request was made.

              You could not have expressed the issue better than in your message below
              where you mention the use of Magyar [sic. Hungarian], Latin and Slovak in
              various records. My genealogy records might show any or all of the above,
              depending if the record at the archive is a state record or a church record.
              But in my family tree I strive to determine the name by which the person
              would have been know by their family. But I would never "translate" a name
              into English. Of course, my family was easy since my father, Frantisck, was
              born in Czechoslovakia. I'm the first person with an "English" name, Frank.
              So I do not have the problem of trying to search records in the United
              States. All of my research has been in Slovakia where I have traveled twice
              to search out my family tree back to a marriage in 1766.

              Enjoy,
              Plichta

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 10, 2005
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Frank R. Plichta"
                <frank.r.plichta@e...> wrote:
                > Michael,
                >
                > I guess I missed the original request. I was commenting on the
                more
                narrow
                > comment in your message that was simply:
                > "Is there an English equivalent to the given names: Aulon and Fanor?
                > Michael Mojher"
                > I was unaware that someone had posted an earlier comment or the
                context in
                > which the request was made.
                >
                > You could not have expressed the issue better than in your message
                below
                > where you mention the use of Magyar [sic. Hungarian], Latin and
                Slovak in
                > various records. My genealogy records might show any or all of the
                above,
                > depending if the record at the archive is a state record or a
                church
                record.
                > But in my family tree I strive to determine the name by which the
                person
                > would have been know by their family. But I would never
                "translate"
                a name
                > into English. Of course, my family was easy since my father,
                Frantisck, was
                > born in Czechoslovakia. I'm the first person with an "English"
                name, Frank.
                > So I do not have the problem of trying to search records in the
                United
                > States. All of my research has been in Slovakia where I have
                traveled twice
                > to search out my family tree back to a marriage in 1766.
                >
                > Enjoy,
                > Plichta

                Michael and Frank,

                The major cause of incorrect given names and place names in ship
                manifests was the misspellings and mistranscribing.

                In a 1913 ship manifest an Aulon Masrar (mistranscribed) was listed.
                His name was actually written as Anton Maszar (H) on the second ship
                manifest page.

                On a 1907 ship manifest page three given names Ferenc(z) (Frank,
                Francis) and two János (John) and two Antons (Anthony (Sk) were
                listed.
                Also two names spelled ?anosz or Fanorz ?
                The Franks were written with a definite script letter F.
                However, the Fanorz ? was written with same script letter J as the
                János.
                Expect your Fanor was actually the mistranscribed given name János.

                My father was also named Ferencz (H)
                My name is Frank
                Meum nomen Franciscus est
                Mon nom est François
                Mi chiamo Francisco
                Me llamo Francesco
                Mam na imie Franciszek
                Ime mi je Franjo
                Volám sa Frantis^ek
                Jmenuji se Frantis^ek
                Ferencz nak hivnak
                Ich heiße Franz
                Mitt namn est Frans
                M e H e 3 B y t b O p a H || (Cyrillic)
                M e n e z v u t - F r a n ts

              • Michael Mojher
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 11, 2005
                  Frank,
                  You said that all of your research has been done on your two trips to Slovakia. I was wondering how that went.
                  From my experience I have found that I was able to get more information through the Family History Center's films than I could in Slovakia. The easiest records to access are those kept at the town's City Hall. The problem is they rarely go back beyond the 1880's. And my one day at the Presov Archives was rather disappointing because of the paperwork and the time it took to get access to the records.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Frank R. Plichta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 11, 2005
                    Access to the archives was without problem. I visited, Kos^ice, Pres^ov,
                    Bratislava and Vienna. The only place that I had any problems was in
                    Bratislava. They were the least helpful although I have to admit that I did
                    not have a specific family tie to those archives. I was fishing for others
                    with my surname without any specifics involved. I also went to the local
                    village church in Dlhe' nad Cirochou my maternal side of the family and to
                    the village hall in Kos^icka' Bela' my paternal side of the family.
                    Everyone was most helpful.

                    There is nothing like picking up those old ledger books from the late 1700's
                    and smelling the bygone years between the pages. Such a delight to see the
                    original entries.

                    I also took a laptop and hand scanner with me. The hand scanner took its
                    power from the laptop. In Kos^ice, Pres^ov and Vienna, they allowed me to
                    scan the pages in the ledger books. We are talking 1996, so this was a few
                    years ago. I must have been the first person to ask to scan the books.
                    They had not seen the hand scanner so they asked me to demonstrate to make
                    sure that I would not damage the books. I scanned the book and showed them
                    the image on my laptop screen and they were satisfied.

                    I had a problem back then, 1996 trying to connect my laptop to a phone line
                    to access email. The one telephone operator phone booth in Snina, said it
                    wasn't possible. I had the adapter for the phone lines but could not make
                    them understand how I was going to access "something" with the laptop
                    connected to the phone line. They wanted to dial the number and then let me
                    "talk". I told them I wasn't going to "talk" but I was going to "type" and
                    I needed to have my laptop dial the number and they said that wasn't
                    possible. I never did get my email in 1996. I'm sure things have changed
                    by now.

                    Frank Plichta

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 11, 2005
                      Frank,
                      I don't know if my experience at the Presov Archives was typical. Last October when I went there with my translator they said that you had to fill a request form and then it could take up to 24 to 48 hours to make the volume available. This meant that it would take a day to make the request, plus up to two more to get. For someone touring waiting up to three days might be to long a wait.
                      On entering the Archive building we had to put on protective booties over our shoes. I wonder what they require when handling the material.
                      I think things have changed since your '96 trip.
                      I have always found the people at the City Halls most cooperative. They are a great source for knowing about the families that live there. They are the recorders of today's births, marriages and deaths. Fortunately for future searches the information is typed, so we won't have the problem of reading handwriting.
                      Michael Mojher

> [...]
                      >
                      > Enjoy,
                      > Plichta

                      Michael and Frank,

                      The major cause of incorrect given names and place names in ship
                      manifests was the misspellings and mistranscribing.

                      In a 1913 ship manifest an Aulon Masrar (mistranscribed) was listed.
                      His name was actually written as Anton Maszar (H) on the second ship
                      manifest page.

                      On a 1907 ship manifest page three given names Ferenc(z) (Frank,
                      Francis) and two János (John) and two Antons (Anthony (Sk) were
                      listed.
                      Also two names spelled ?anosz or Fanorz ?
                      The Franks were written with a definite script letter F.
                      However, the Fanorz ? was written with same script letter J as the
                      János.
                      Expect your Fanor was actually the mistranscribed given name János.

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Frank R. Plichta
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 11, 2005
                        Michael,

                        I remember the booties. The archives were spic and span clean. Not a dust
                        anywhere. They did limit me to one book at a time but I could turn one in
                        and immediately get another. There were about 5 other local folks doing
                        research at the same time. Everyone was quite and stayed busy with their
                        work. I think I paid a small fee like 20 SK for each book. But they held
                        the books at the desk for me because several times I needed to go back to
                        check on another line in the family. Then again, 1996 was the dark ages.
                        My earlier trip in 1984 was spent mostly with family. I met more than 100
                        relatives on both Mom and Dad's sides of the family. On that first trip, it
                        kept me busy just recording all of the recent history since my Dad had
                        migrated. It was later in 1996 that I returned to go back into history and
                        eventually traced both families, on one sides to a marriage in 1766 and on
                        the other to 1780.

                        Family in Slovakia have asked me to return, but at age 64, I've been there
                        and done that and now have other issues that are keeping me busy. May
                        someday???

                        Frank Plichta

> [...]
                        >
                        > Enjoy,
                        > Plichta

                        Michael and Frank,

                        The major cause of incorrect given names and place names in ship
                        manifests was the misspellings and mistranscribing.

                        In a 1913 ship manifest an Aulon Masrar (mistranscribed) was listed.
                        His name was actually written as Anton Maszar (H) on the second ship
                        manifest page.

                        On a 1907 ship manifest page three given names Ferenc(z) (Frank,
                        Francis) and two János (John) and two Antons (Anthony (Sk) were
                        listed.
                        Also two names spelled ?anosz or Fanorz ?
                        The Franks were written with a definite script letter F.
                        However, the Fanorz ? was written with same script letter J as the
                        János.
                        Expect your Fanor was actually the mistranscribed given name János.

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Dr. Joe Q.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 12, 2005
                          When we visited the Presov archives in 2001, the shoe covers were
                          required. You could handle the books with bare hands, although I think
                          that a requirement to wear gloves would be a nice idea. I do not know
                          if there was a requirement to order a book days ahead.

                          Dr. "Q"

                        • Gil Kubancsek
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 12, 2005
                            I had a very pleasant and successful visit to the Banska Bystrica Archives in 2001. I met with Mgr. Anna Kovacova on Saturday morning. My cousin from Selce had called several days earlier and made the appoinement. After a short discussion of my interests, Mgr. Kovacova instructed two memebrs of her staff to bring the original registers for Banska Bystrica, Selce and Dubova to her office. For approximately three hours we reviewed the registers and obtained family history data from 1711 in Dubova to Banska Bystrica in 1902 when my grandfather left for America.

                            During the meeting my cousin provided outstanding translation services. The official cost was 50SK for each register retrieved from the archives and reviewed. Although Anna Kovacova did not require payment for her services, I offered compensation for her time ( three hours at the senior archivist hourly rate) and she accepted.

                            There were no shoe covers required in Anna Kovacova's office and I saw no gloves worn by her or her staff in handling the registers.

                            All in all it was a very enjoyable and productive visit.

                            Gil