Translation of Given Name

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9 12:20 PM
      Is there an English equivalent to the given names: Aulon and Fanor?
      Michael Mojher

    • Frank R. Plichta
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9 1:50 PM
        I don't have an answer for your question but I do have some thoughts about
        translating names.

        If your ancestors were know as "Aulon" or "Fanor", than that is what their
        names were. It doesn't make sense to me to think of them as "Tom", "Dick"
        or "Harry" because they were never known as such in their lifetime. They
        were "Aulon" and "Fanor" and that is how they should be remembered. Using
        the names by which they were known, places them in the proper contest of the
        time and place where they lived in history. It helps recognize their
        heritage and it helps explain the ancestral names used by your family. If
        someone were to check other historical records they would not find "Tom",
        "Dick" or "Harry" they would in fact find "Aulon" and "Fanor".

        I recommend against the practice of trying to translate names. My
        grandfather was "Juri". That is how everyone knew him and I remember them
        calling him "Juri" when I was growing up. He never was "George". "George"
        is out of context with my grandfather's time and the people who know him
        when he was alive.

        Similarly, with place names. Names of places have changed over time, not
        only the cities and towns but the countries. I prefer to use the name of
        the location in general use at the time that the ancestral event (birth,
        marriage or death) took place. So for some in my family it was the Kingdom
        of Hungary, Austria-Hungarian Empire, Czecho-Slovakia, Czechoslovakia, or
        the Republic of Slovakia. The modern day name for a location did not exist
        one hundred or two hundred years ago.

        Please don't try to translate proper names or place names. I am of the
        opinion that doing so changes history. After all, the study of our
        ancestors is in fact the study of history. I believe it is only proper to
        recognize people, places and events as they were known then. It helps to
        explain how things have changed over time. And, it helps all of us to
        remain true to history.

        Alternate opinions or ideas are appreciated.
        Plichta

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9 7:58 PM
          Michael,

          I have never seen names like this before. I am curious to know the source
          document of these names and who & how the transcription was accomplished.
          What was the time period?

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10 1:08 PM
            Bill, Quite a while ago a relative wrote to, I
            believe, the Immigration/Naturalization Dept. in
            Washington, DC to get her father's immigration papers.
            Her father was my Uncle Alex Palesko who arrived on
            the Ship: Grosserkurfuerst in 1904. On the documents
            was additional information: Alex Palesko, 14, was
            picked up his uncle Fanor Mojcher who lived at 72
            Pembroke st. in Bridgeport, CT. Other info: Maria
            Sarnyik, 18 years old, (Rusyn) from Gromos was sent by
            an uncle to Uncle Aulon Timck from Gromos who now
            lived at 764 Pembroke St. I did not see the documents
            - she lived in MI and I in CA and she has since passed
            away. Those were the notes I had written down.
            Another entry: Ian Murcko, 14, from Wagas going to
            Raggeley, PA pd $6 by his father and picked up by
            mother Ann Palecko.

            Names are many times mispelled and later even changed.
            My uncle chose to change the name Palesko to Polke -
            no one knows why - but that became our family name!

            Genealogy has many corners and avenues - I am new at
            this and perhaps using the word "translation" was
            incorrect.

            Evelyn whose paternal family comes from Gromos/Hromos

            ---------------------------------
            Michael,

            I have never seen names like this before. I am
            curious to know the source
            document of these names and who & how the
            transcription was accomplished.
            What was the time period?

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Is there an English equivalent to the given names:
            Aulon and Fanor? Michael
            Mojher

            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
            send blank email to
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            To unsubscribe from this group, go to
            http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/SLOVAK-ROOTS -or-
            send blank email to

            Terms of Service.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10 4:37 PM
              Hi Evelyn,
              So this is all very good data collection. Where do you want to go from
              here? What do you wish to accomplish? How can we help?

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11 8:29 AM
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Evelyn Marsh <o_e_marsh@s...>
                wrote:
                > Bill, Quite a while ago a relative wrote to, I
                > believe, the Immigration/Naturalization Dept. in
                > Washington, DC to get her father's immigration papers.
                > Her father was my Uncle Alex Palesko who arrived on
                > the Ship: Grosserkurfuerst in 1904. On the documents
                > was additional information: Alex Palesko, 14, was
                > picked up his uncle Fanor Mojcher who lived at 72
                > Pembroke st. in Bridgeport, CT. Other info: Maria
                > Sarnyik, 18 years old, (Rusyn) from Gromos was sent by
                > an uncle to Uncle Aulon Timck from Gromos who now
                > lived at 764 Pembroke St. I did not see the documents
                > - she lived in MI and I in CA and she has since passed
                > away. Those were the notes I had written down.
                > Another entry: Ian Murcko, 14, from Wagas going to
                > Raggeley, PA pd $6 by his father and picked up by
                > mother Ann Palecko.
                >
                > Names are many times mispelled and later even changed.
                > My uncle chose to change the name Palesko to Polke -
                > no one knows why - but that became our family name!
                >
                > Genealogy has many corners and avenues - I am new at
                > this and perhaps using the word "translation" was
                > incorrect.
                >
                > Evelyn whose paternal family comes from Gromos/Hromos

                Evelyn,

                What you wrote about a Bridgeport connection was very interesting.
                My theory was that given name spelled Fanor had been written with
                a script letter J which had been mistranscribed as a script letter
                F and was actually meant to be the Hungarian name Ja'nos (H) Jan (Sk)
                John (E).

                On July 23, 1899 a Janos Mojcher, age 14, and a Janos Mojcher, age 9,
                from Gromos (H) Sáros megye (county), Hungary ; later Hromos^ S^aris,
                Slovakia , had emigrated to the address of their father J. Mojcher at
                31 Halet Street Bridgeport CT.

                Incidentally -sko is a common Rusyn surname ending.

                Frank K