Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation Help, Please

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 9, 2000
      I'll intersperse translations below in CAPS

      RJMRAZIK wrote:

      > From: "RJMRAZIK" <RJMRAZIK@...>
      >

      > > Could someone help with some words I need translated?
      >
      > Today I received an old picture of a large headstone on a family grave that
      > is located in Vienna. A note on the back of the picture simply says "Great
      > Grandma's grave, Vienna"
      > There are three names and small pictures of each. (but of course these
      > pictures on the headstone are too small to "see" anything.) There is also a
      > large crucifix on top.
      > The JURACICS (spelling variations) surname we have been researching. The
      > other two names are new to us. BERGER and LACHKOVIC.
      >
      > The inscription on the headstone is a bit difficult to read due to size
      > and a couple of sun glare spots..
      > Hier Ruhel HERE RESTS (I don't know what this means.?)
      > Frau <MARRIED> WOMAN (MRS) (does this mean woman?)
      > Theresia Berger
      > gest 31 Mai 1915 fm 62 Lebensjahre
      DIED 31 MAY 1915 fm? 62nd YEAR OF LIFE

      (I think here the date of death and
      > age)
      >
      > Frau < MARRIED> WOMAN (MRS)
      > Josefa Juracics (What would Josefa translate to in US?) (JOSEPHINE?)
      > gest 2 December (this area could not read) 0 Lebensjahre
      >
      > Katharina Lachkovic
      > gest 25 December 1929 fm 76 Lebensjahre
      DIED 25 DECEMBER 1929 IN THE 76 YEAR OF LIFE

      > Ruhet sanft REST PEACEFULLY (SANF = SOFTLY)

      (I don't know what this means.?)

    • helenezx@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2000
        In a message dated 3/10/0 3:38:39 AM, RJMRAZIK@... writes:

        << Hier Ruhel (I don't know what this means.?) HERE LIES ???
        Frau (does this mean woman?) MRS.
        Theresia Berger
        gest 31 Mai 1915 fm 62 Lebensjahre (I think here the date of death and
        age)

        Frau
        Josefa Juracics (What would Josefa translate to in US?) JOSEPHINE
        gest 2 December (this area could not read) 0 Lebensjahre

        Katharina Lachkovic
        gest 25 December 1929 fm 76 Lebensjahre

        Ruhet sanft (I don't know what this means.?) >> MAYBE REST IN PEACE

        helene
      • RJMRAZIK
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 9, 2000
          Thank-you Ron!
          Would anyone care to guess as to why three women would be buried together?
          I'm not very familiar with their customs. Maybe they were sisters? If this
          is true, wonder why they were not buried with their husbands?
          I wish this picture of the grave had the name of the cemetery. I know some
          of the Juracsics (sp. variations) are buried in what is called the central
          cemetery of Vienna, though I do not know if this is an actual name for the
          cemetery or a basic term. ?
          Also know great grandmother Juracsics was Roman Catholic and she had
          relatives ( exact relationship yet to be determined, there were two death
          notices in her family bible) connected to the St. Johann Church in Vienna. I
          want to make a note here: I contacted St Johann Church in regards to those
          death notices and they were very quick with their response! Don't think I've
          ever received anything within the US that quickly!
          Seems every time one question is answered in genealogy at least a half a
          dozen more questions arrive. :-)
          Thanks for any ideas!
          Peggy

        • sabinov@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 10, 2000
            I think the Ruhet sanft, is a colloquial German for a phrase like "Rest
            in Peace". Sanft is correct, but it should be Ruhe ....

            Last line of silent night in German "schlaft in Himmlischer Ruhe"...
            sleep in Heavenly Peace

            The Lebenjahre could be translated as "lived so many years"... or age

            Hier Ruhel.. here rests

            Frau is Mrs., not woman. Frau is very specific. This is a married woman
            (or at least a person who had been married. ) There is only Frau and
            Fraulein in German, not a "Ms." <g>

            Hope this helps.

          • Ron Matviyak
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 10, 2000
              Maura,

              All that you say is correct, but just as in English, there are shades of
              meaning and variations of meaning. Therefore I offered several shades
              of meaning, as in Frau. Frau is used as "Mrs.", but it is also used as
              "wife" and as "woman" when compared to "girl". The modern women today
              do take "Frau" as their formal title by age rather than by marital
              status - if they so wish. At least that is in everyday use if not in
              legal documents. I know several single "Frau" in their 40's and 50's,
              never married. They may answer to a friendly "Maedel" (informal for
              Maiden, girl), but not to "Fraulein" except by a waiter.

              The rest is similar, with "ruhe" = "rest" and "ruhe sanf = rest
              peacefully, or Rest In Peace", however "Rest in Peace" can also be "Ruhe
              in Frieden". The variations are very similar, despite "sanf = soft", or
              "ruhe sanf = rest softly" as I chose to translate it.

              One of the nicest expressions in German is for "Friedhof = Peace Yard",
              much nicer sounding than our harsh "cemetary".

              Your comment was a lot shorter, more concise and clearer, so we can
              stand by yours. This is just for further information.

              regards -

              Ron