Re: Help reading passenger manifest

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
      I think that the name is the female form used to indicate "wife of
      Laszlo" or Mrs. Laszlo. That would be Laszloyne.

      My reading of the village name is (possibly) Nagymagyaros (Pozsony
      Megye). If I refer to a modern map, that would be Zlate Klasy, due
      east of Bratislva. Can you verify that village from other sources?

      Western Slovakia church records have not yet been released by LDS.
      Those records might serve to confirm births, marriages, etc.

      Interesting side note, Mihaly Marczinko on Line 2 is in my family tree
      database.
    • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
        Nagy Magyar used in 1773 later known in 1948--1960 as Rastice or Nagymagyar
        (1938--1945 hungarian) or Grossmagendorf (1920 german), today since 1960 is
        Zlate' Klasy.

        Source 1: Vlastivedny' Slovni'k obci' na Slovensku, 1978, Veda,
        Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied, Bratislave, Volume III, page 353.

        Source 2: Na'zvy Obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997),
        VEDA, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej akade'mie vied, Pratislava 1998, page 346.

        Enjoy,
        Plichta

        I think that the name is the female form used to indicate "wife of
        Laszlo" or Mrs. Laszlo. That would be Laszloyne.

        My reading of the village name is (possibly) Nagymagyaros (Pozsony
        Megye). If I refer to a modern map, that would be Zlate Klasy, due
        east of Bratislva. Can you verify that village from other sources?

        Western Slovakia church records have not yet been released by LDS.
        Those records might serve to confirm births, marriages, etc.

        Interesting side note, Mihaly Marczinko on Line 2 is in my family tree
        database.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bohdana Badzio
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
          Thank you, John, Frank, and everyone else who replied. "Mrs. Laszlo"
          has crossed my mind, but I couldn't think what it might be. Laszloyne
          it is.

          The town name is, to my best knowledge, Nagymogyoros, which is now
          Kopynivtsi, Mukachevo district, Ukraine. I know there were several
          similarly sounding town names, including a Nagymagyar which, according
          to Majta~n, is Zlate Klasy. However, a bunch of Badzos came from that
          part of Transcarpathia which is now Mukachevo district, including a
          Laszlo Badzo from a much-more-legible Nagymogyoros, on a separate date.

          Thank you again for your help,

          Bohdana

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...> wrote:
          > I think that the name is the female form used to indicate "wife of
          > Laszlo" or Mrs. Laszlo. That would be Laszloyne.
          >
          > My reading of the village name is (possibly) Nagymagyaros (Pozsony
          > Megye). If I refer to a modern map, that would be Zlate Klasy, due
          > east of Bratislva. Can you verify that village from other sources?
          >
          > Western Slovakia church records have not yet been released by LDS.
          > Those records might serve to confirm births, marriages, etc.
          >
          > Interesting side note, Mihaly Marczinko on Line 2 is in my family tree
          > database.
        • Peter Nagy
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2005
            Bohdana,

            > The name I'm interested in is that of his wife in column 11.

            I read the name as:
            Badzó Lászlóné
            In Hungarian this means "wife of Badzó László".

            Peter

            --
            Cilistovska 20
            931 01 Samorin