Help reading passenger manifest

  • Bohdana Badzio
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
      Dear all,

      I wonder if someone could help me decipher a name on the passenger
      manifest for Laszlo BADZO, arriving EI on 14 February 1909 from Fiume,
      line #7:

      http://tinyurl.com/aydpj

      The name I'm interested in is that of his wife in column 11. It is
      very pale, and I couldn't adjust the image in my Paint Shop well
      enough to read it. Perhaps you have a better luck.

      Thank you very much,

      Bohdana Badzio
    • johnqadam
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
        I think that the name is the female form used to indicate "wife of
        Laszlo" or Mrs. Laszlo. That would be Laszloyne.

        My reading of the village name is (possibly) Nagymagyaros (Pozsony
        Megye). If I refer to a modern map, that would be Zlate Klasy, due
        east of Bratislva. Can you verify that village from other sources?

        Western Slovakia church records have not yet been released by LDS.
        Those records might serve to confirm births, marriages, etc.

        Interesting side note, Mihaly Marczinko on Line 2 is in my family tree
        database.
      • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
          Nagy Magyar used in 1773 later known in 1948--1960 as Rastice or Nagymagyar
          (1938--1945 hungarian) or Grossmagendorf (1920 german), today since 1960 is
          Zlate' Klasy.

          Source 1: Vlastivedny' Slovni'k obci' na Slovensku, 1978, Veda,
          Vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej Akade'mie Vied, Bratislave, Volume III, page 353.

          Source 2: Na'zvy Obci' Slovenskej Republiky (Vy'vin v rokoch 1773-1997),
          VEDA, vydavatel'stvo Slovenskej akade'mie vied, Pratislava 1998, page 346.

          Enjoy,
          Plichta

          I think that the name is the female form used to indicate "wife of
          Laszlo" or Mrs. Laszlo. That would be Laszloyne.

          My reading of the village name is (possibly) Nagymagyaros (Pozsony
          Megye). If I refer to a modern map, that would be Zlate Klasy, due
          east of Bratislva. Can you verify that village from other sources?

          Western Slovakia church records have not yet been released by LDS.
          Those records might serve to confirm births, marriages, etc.

          Interesting side note, Mihaly Marczinko on Line 2 is in my family tree
          database.

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Bohdana Badzio
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2005
            Thank you, John, Frank, and everyone else who replied. "Mrs. Laszlo"
            has crossed my mind, but I couldn't think what it might be. Laszloyne
            it is.

            The town name is, to my best knowledge, Nagymogyoros, which is now
            Kopynivtsi, Mukachevo district, Ukraine. I know there were several
            similarly sounding town names, including a Nagymagyar which, according
            to Majta~n, is Zlate Klasy. However, a bunch of Badzos came from that
            part of Transcarpathia which is now Mukachevo district, including a
            Laszlo Badzo from a much-more-legible Nagymogyoros, on a separate date.

            Thank you again for your help,

            Bohdana

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "johnqadam" <johnqadam@r...> wrote:
            > I think that the name is the female form used to indicate "wife of
            > Laszlo" or Mrs. Laszlo. That would be Laszloyne.
            >
            > My reading of the village name is (possibly) Nagymagyaros (Pozsony
            > Megye). If I refer to a modern map, that would be Zlate Klasy, due
            > east of Bratislva. Can you verify that village from other sources?
            >
            > Western Slovakia church records have not yet been released by LDS.
            > Those records might serve to confirm births, marriages, etc.
            >
            > Interesting side note, Mihaly Marczinko on Line 2 is in my family tree
            > database.
          • Peter Nagy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2005
              Bohdana,

              > The name I'm interested in is that of his wife in column 11.

              I read the name as:
              Badzó Lászlóné
              In Hungarian this means "wife of Badzó László".

              Peter

              --
              Cilistovska 20
              931 01 Samorin