RE: [S-R] Travel In Slovakia

    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
      Hello John,

      I usually don't like to make comparison between the states and Slovakia, but
      it's necessary to do so here.
      For the most part, the rules of the road are the same as they are here.
      They do one better than America, which is using international traffic signs
      everywhere. It makes driving rules obvious and intuitive. Of course this
      is true for most all European nations. Yes, they drive on the right hand
      side.
      The number of limited access highways in Slovakia is extremely limited. You
      will spend most of your time on improved primary roads, 2-lane, (one in each
      direction), with a line down the middle.

      No, there isn't a lot of traffic, especially compared to the Northeast US,
      Chicago or LA. Remember that Slovakia is about the size of West Virginia,
      with the population of Massachusetts (5 million). The two largest cities,
      Bratislava and Kosice are, from a density point of view, not much larger
      than Cleveland. All the other cities are much, much smaller. Think about
      it, there are over 2,500 villages, most with populations under 1,200 souls.
      Most of the land is countryside.
      I was never in bumper-to-bumper traffic a-la-America. The worst it ever got
      was a couple light cycle delays in the city. Even in the city the traffic
      is not that dense. On the open road you may pass one car per minute or
      longer. The work ethic is strong and they start their days early - busy
      roads by 4 to 5am, especially in the city. Remember, lots of people do not
      have cars, far fewer percentage than in America.

      I found getting in the car and driving to be quite ordinary and uneventful.
      You just have to figure out the gas prices - converting Liters to Gallons
      and Crowns to Dollars. You do however, share the road with all the diesel
      trucks, a rather unpleasantly aromatic journey when they can't be passed for
      dozens of winding miles.

      I only have one beef, and it's about a few "rotten apple" drivers. These
      idiot guys (yes, guys) find it necessary to make three lanes of two in order
      to pass someone. They do this by straddling the middle of the road (yes,
      driving center on the median stripe) and essentially forcing cars on both
      sides off to the side of the road while they pass. I have NEVER heard a
      rational, reasonable explanation for such behavior from otherwise
      intelligent, sober, lack-of-road-rage people. Fortunately, it only happened
      to me a couple of times. I did ride with an unnamed individual who insisted
      on doing this frequently. I finally insisted on driving. Do not let these
      fools deter you from driving.

      Driving in SR was one of the memorable parts of the journey. Especially as
      Americans, being able to come and go as you please, stop on a whim, was
      quite worthwhile. Driving around looking for that long-lost and abandoned
      cemetery in the rain made having the car quite worthwhile, to say nothing of
      making good use of your time.

      Don't forget to stop by a gas station and purchase an "SK" sticker to put on
      your car when you get back to the states!

      Shop around for price. The only other thing about auto rentals is that some
      rental companies either restrict which country travel is permitted to or
      charge a surcharge. May be worthwhile depending on your itinerary.

      Enjoy your trip.

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
        Dorene,

        I have traveled by train and auto and a bit by bus in Slovakia. The
        second class cars tend to get crowded on busy days or times, while I
        suppose the first class are quite a bit less crowded at about 50%
        more fare. The difference I see is in the upolstery being thicker
        and cloth instead of plastic. In first class you will not have the
        opportunity to rub elbows with workers and regular businessmen as
        you will in second class.

        From your repeated concerns I would recommend first class. For the
        difference between $10 and $15 for a ticket your comfort and peace
        of mind is worth it. I recommend you pay a bit extra for a seat
        reservation and then follow up by getting on the right train car,
        compartment and seat.

        If you ever do decide to get a bit adventurous you can always buy a
        second class ticket the next time! One of the worst things I did to
        my mother was answer her question about "how much baggage." My
        answer was "not more than you can carry", as on that trip I could
        anticipate I might not be there to carry it for her. The trip and
        baggage and adventure worked quite well. Oh, and I was there to
        carry her bigger bag because mine were even smaller.

        Ron

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "D. Radmacher"
        <dradmacher@s...> wrote:
        > Dear John: one of the women who is traveling with us has heard
        that second-class train travel is very uncomfortable. Can you
        please tell me, what exactly is the difference between first and
        second class train travel? Do they bring animals on second class
        like she was told?

        > Dorene

        03/06/05

      • D. Radmacher
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
          Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

          Dorene
          I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
          Michael Mojher

          > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
          > Poland

          Dorene,
          have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
          convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
          Noreen

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
            mgmojher@...
            Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

            Dorene
            I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
            Michael Mojher

            > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
            > Poland

            Dorene,
            have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
            convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
            Noreen

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Peter Pikna
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
              Dorene,

              I recommend to you (if you are decided for public transport) visit at first
              Krakov with direct train from Prague (21,03, arriving to Krakov 5,30 with
              sleeping carriage), spend a day in Krakow and in the evening go to Trstena
              (you must four times change) or your relatives can take away from Krakow to
              Trstena by a car. I can prepare a itinerary for your trips in the High
              Tatra. I will on a short vacation after 10 days in this region (in the town
              Namestovo) and I can look for any other form of transport. You can write me
              on my direct e-mail

              Peter

              MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden. http://www.msn.sk/weather
            • D. Radmacher
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
                Peter: that would be wonderful. Can you please give me your email address? It doesn't show up on mine.

                Thank you so much.

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 12, 2005
                  John: thank you for this information. I will be going to the LDS church where I live. I have been there before but not looking for my Slovakian roots, so will do that before I leave. I am such a rank beginner and have so little information, it is difficult to get started.

                  Dorene
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 12, 2005
                    "I will be going to the LDS church where I live."

                    Actually, you want to go to the Family History Center/Centre (FHC) and
                    not the Mormon Temple. You can look up the address and hours of
                    operation on the LDS web site.

                    The film of Slovak church records will take about a month to arrive
                    and it will cost you C$6 for four weeks rental and rental can be
                    renewed.

                    My local FHC closes for vacation for most of July.