Prayer Recorded in Unknown Langauge

  • Frank Schoemann
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6 3:03 PM
      I may have posted a prayer on this message board a long time ago
      which was taught to my Aunt, now 91 years old, by my Grandmother who
      was from Rohoznik in western Slovakia. In that earlier posting I
      spelled out the words phonetically as best as I could.

      Now, I have posted the prayer that I recorded with a digital recorder
      on the "Files" section of this Slovak-Roots board. It is a "wav"
      file and can be listened to by most audio programs like Real Player
      and Windows Media.

      I am hoping that someone on this board can recognize the language of
      this prayer which has been a long family mystery.

      Genealogy research to date indicates ancestors on my Mother's side of
      the family were from Rohoznik, or nearby towns. My Mother's
      grandmother, and her family were from around Mnichov in the Czech
      Republic.

      Thanks for any possible help on this.

      Frank Schoemann
    • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7 10:03 AM
        Frank

        this is exact translation:

        "Lord, give us good English (2 words I cannot understand) all saint night
        (I think she means Easter by this), Amen! We say 'Velku Noc' that is
        literally translated Big Night - and I think she is praying for good
        Easter.

        It sounds like old Slovakian, but the lady speaks too fast in the middle,
        so I cannot understand what she is saying.

        I live about 10km from Rohoznik. I hope this helps.

        Regards

        Sylvia

        --- Frank Schoemann <daaschoe@...> wrote:

        > I may have posted a prayer on this message board a long time ago
        > which was taught to my Aunt, now 91 years old, by my Grandmother who
        > was from Rohoznik in western Slovakia. In that earlier posting I
        > spelled out the words phonetically as best as I could.
        >
        > Now, I have posted the prayer that I recorded with a digital recorder
        > on the "Files" section of this Slovak-Roots board. It is a "wav"
        > file and can be listened to by most audio programs like Real Player
        > and Windows Media.
        >
        > I am hoping that someone on this board can recognize the language of
        > this prayer which has been a long family mystery.
        >
        > Genealogy research to date indicates ancestors on my Mother's side of
        > the family were from Rohoznik, or nearby towns. My Mother's
        > grandmother, and her family were from around Mnichov in the Czech
        > Republic.
        >
        > Thanks for any possible help on this.
        >
        > Frank Schoemann

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • maria hudek
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7 10:10 AM
          Hi ,

          all saints can be "all saints" I guess, because it is big catholic event on 1st November when everybody goes to the cemetery, even not religios people.

          Maria