Stara bystrica

  • Converset
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
      My ancestor Adam skorvaga went in France in 1800. when he married a
      french woman he said he come from Stara Bystrica.
      How is it possible for him to said that, if the village's name was at
      this period Ôbersztrece ?
      When did Ô'bersztrece become stara bystrica ?
      At this time what was Upper Hungary ?
      Thank you for your answer.

      Françoise

      From LDS micro films we found the parents of Adam. But the name he
      gave for his mother isn't the name we found on the micro films. So we
      wondered wether Adam was our ancestor.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
        Hello Françoise,

        Here is the naming chronology since 1773:

        1773 - O-Beszterzce, Bistrice
        1786 - O-Besztercze
        1808 - O-Besztercze, Stara Bystrice
        1863 - Obisztric
        1873-1913 - Obeszterce
        1920 - Stara Bystrica
        Source: "Nazy Obci Slovenskej Republiky", 1996

        This town was included in Trencin County, Upper Hungary.
        "Upper Hungary" was essentially the region including Slovakia, along with
        West Ukraine (Ung, Bereg, etc. counties)
        So you see, as early as 1808 the village had been called Stara Bystrice, but
        the names shifted around for reasons not all entirely explainable.

        In 1910 the population was 71 Magyar, 67 german and 2504 Slovaks. It is
        possible with Slovak being the dominant ethnicity that the alternate Slovak
        spelling was used conversationally, but O-Besztercze used officially. In
        both languages, its translation/transliteration mean the same thing - Old
        Besztercze.

        You have more work to prove the parentage. You need to eliminate
        possibilities including mother's death and remarriage. Have you correlated
        the siblings? How do you know for certain these are his parents? This is
        critical since many people in small villages had the same name.

        Regards,

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        My ancestor Adam skorvaga went in France in 1800. when he married a
        french woman he said he come from Stara Bystrica.
        How is it possible for him to said that, if the village's name was at
        this period Ôbersztrece ?
        When did Ô'bersztrece become stara bystrica ?
        At this time what was Upper Hungary ?
        Thank you for your answer.

        Françoise

        From LDS micro films we found the parents of Adam. But the name he
        gave for his mother isn't the name we found on the micro films. So we
        wondered wether Adam was our ancestor.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Peter Pikna
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2005
          Francoise,
          Obersztrece is hungarian name for Stara Bystrica. This name was using during
          pertiod 1867-1918. Before the period were using both names and after WW
          there was using only the Slovak names. There were living only Slovaks and in
          19th and 20th centuries a small Jewish community (less 200 people)
          Skorvaga is in the region a common surname.. If you need any help in your
          research I can help you with it. My daughters are translator to French
          language (the eldest daughter graduaded university in Bordeaux) and they can
          help you during your visit in Slovakia.

          Have a nice week

          Peter

          >From: "Converset" <dconverset@...>
          >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [S-R] Stara bystrica
          >Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:03:50 -0000
          >
          >My ancestor Adam skorvaga went in France in 1800. when he married a
          >french woman he said he come from Stara Bystrica.
          >How is it possible for him to said that, if the village's name was at
          >this period �bersztrece ?
          >When did �'bersztrece become stara bystrica ?
          >At this time what was Upper Hungary ?
          >Thank you for your answer.
          >
          >Fran�oise
          >
          >From LDS micro films we found the parents of Adam. But the name he
          >gave for his mother isn't the name we found on the micro films. So we
          >wondered wether Adam was our ancestor.

          Potrebujete vediet, ake pocasie bude na Slovensku aj vo svete.
          http://www.msn.sk/weather