Travel In Slovakia

  • johnqadam
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
      1) SLOVAK MAP
      The best map book is Podrobny Auto Atlas, scale 1:100,000. That's
      the best way to plan your Slovak route.

      2) There are several instances of Trstena. I assume you are talking
      about the one near the Polish border and near Tvrdosin on the
      Oravica River.

      3) GENEALOGY
      If you haven't already researched the old church records for
      Trstena, you should do so before you go. That way, you will have
      something to talk about with your cousins.

      CENTER (FHC)
      nationally. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate
      church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to
      the LDS web site:

      LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
      deaths for Trstená, Slovakia, formerly Trsztena, Árva, Hungary.

      Krstení 1763-1771 Zomrelí 1763-1771 Krstení 1793-1821 Birmovaní 1794
      Krstení 1822-1862, 1844-1851, 1863-66 - FHL INTL Film [ 2062254
      Items 2-5 ]

      Krstení 1866-1895 Sobá¹ení 1788-1887 Index k matrike sobá¹ených 1844-
      1886 Sobá¹ení 1887-1899 Zomrelí 1793-1870 - FHL INTL Film [
      2062255 ]

      Zomrelí 1870-1886, 1844-1852, 1887-95 Index k matrike pokrstených
      1822-1950 - FHL INTL Film [ 2062256 Items 1-6 ]

      Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
      to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
      film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
      research.

      TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
      translations.

      LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
      See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
      details.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
        Dorene,
        I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
        Michael Mojher

        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
          Hello John,

          I usually don't like to make comparison between the states and Slovakia, but
          it's necessary to do so here.
          For the most part, the rules of the road are the same as they are here.
          They do one better than America, which is using international traffic signs
          everywhere. It makes driving rules obvious and intuitive. Of course this
          is true for most all European nations. Yes, they drive on the right hand
          side.
          The number of limited access highways in Slovakia is extremely limited. You
          will spend most of your time on improved primary roads, 2-lane, (one in each
          direction), with a line down the middle.

          No, there isn't a lot of traffic, especially compared to the Northeast US,
          Chicago or LA. Remember that Slovakia is about the size of West Virginia,
          with the population of Massachusetts (5 million). The two largest cities,
          Bratislava and Kosice are, from a density point of view, not much larger
          than Cleveland. All the other cities are much, much smaller. Think about
          it, there are over 2,500 villages, most with populations under 1,200 souls.
          Most of the land is countryside.
          I was never in bumper-to-bumper traffic a-la-America. The worst it ever got
          was a couple light cycle delays in the city. Even in the city the traffic
          is not that dense. On the open road you may pass one car per minute or
          longer. The work ethic is strong and they start their days early - busy
          roads by 4 to 5am, especially in the city. Remember, lots of people do not
          have cars, far fewer percentage than in America.

          I found getting in the car and driving to be quite ordinary and uneventful.
          You just have to figure out the gas prices - converting Liters to Gallons
          and Crowns to Dollars. You do however, share the road with all the diesel
          trucks, a rather unpleasantly aromatic journey when they can't be passed for
          dozens of winding miles.

          I only have one beef, and it's about a few "rotten apple" drivers. These
          idiot guys (yes, guys) find it necessary to make three lanes of two in order
          to pass someone. They do this by straddling the middle of the road (yes,
          driving center on the median stripe) and essentially forcing cars on both
          sides off to the side of the road while they pass. I have NEVER heard a
          rational, reasonable explanation for such behavior from otherwise
          intelligent, sober, lack-of-road-rage people. Fortunately, it only happened
          to me a couple of times. I did ride with an unnamed individual who insisted
          on doing this frequently. I finally insisted on driving. Do not let these
          fools deter you from driving.

          Driving in SR was one of the memorable parts of the journey. Especially as
          Americans, being able to come and go as you please, stop on a whim, was
          quite worthwhile. Driving around looking for that long-lost and abandoned
          cemetery in the rain made having the car quite worthwhile, to say nothing of
          making good use of your time.

          Don't forget to stop by a gas station and purchase an "SK" sticker to put on
          your car when you get back to the states!

          Shop around for price. The only other thing about auto rentals is that some
          rental companies either restrict which country travel is permitted to or
          charge a surcharge. May be worthwhile depending on your itinerary.

          Enjoy your trip.

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to
          Kracow,
          > Poland

          Dorene,
          have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
          convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small
          villages.
          Noreen

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • amiak27
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
            Dorene,

            I have traveled by train and auto and a bit by bus in Slovakia. The
            second class cars tend to get crowded on busy days or times, while I
            suppose the first class are quite a bit less crowded at about 50%
            more fare. The difference I see is in the upolstery being thicker
            and cloth instead of plastic. In first class you will not have the
            opportunity to rub elbows with workers and regular businessmen as
            you will in second class.

            From your repeated concerns I would recommend first class. For the
            difference between $10 and $15 for a ticket your comfort and peace
            of mind is worth it. I recommend you pay a bit extra for a seat
            reservation and then follow up by getting on the right train car,
            compartment and seat.

            If you ever do decide to get a bit adventurous you can always buy a
            second class ticket the next time! One of the worst things I did to
            my mother was answer her question about "how much baggage." My
            answer was "not more than you can carry", as on that trip I could
            anticipate I might not be there to carry it for her. The trip and
            baggage and adventure worked quite well. Oh, and I was there to
            carry her bigger bag because mine were even smaller.

            Ron

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "D. Radmacher"
            <dradmacher@s...> wrote:
            > Dear John: one of the women who is traveling with us has heard
            that second-class train travel is very uncomfortable. Can you
            please tell me, what exactly is the difference between first and
            second class train travel? Do they bring animals on second class
            like she was told?

            > Dorene

            03/06/05

          • D. Radmacher
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
              Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                mgmojher@...
                Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

                Dorene
                I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
                Michael Mojher

                > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
                > Poland

                Dorene,
                have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
                convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
                Noreen

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Peter Pikna
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Dorene,

                  I recommend to you (if you are decided for public transport) visit at first
                  Krakov with direct train from Prague (21,03, arriving to Krakov 5,30 with
                  sleeping carriage), spend a day in Krakow and in the evening go to Trstena
                  (you must four times change) or your relatives can take away from Krakow to
                  Trstena by a car. I can prepare a itinerary for your trips in the High
                  Tatra. I will on a short vacation after 10 days in this region (in the town
                  Namestovo) and I can look for any other form of transport. You can write me
                  on my direct e-mail

                  Peter

                  MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden. http://www.msn.sk/weather
                • D. Radmacher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
                    Peter: that would be wonderful. Can you please give me your email address? It doesn't show up on mine.

                    Thank you so much.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 12, 2005
                      John: thank you for this information. I will be going to the LDS church where I live. I have been there before but not looking for my Slovakian roots, so will do that before I leave. I am such a rank beginner and have so little information, it is difficult to get started.

                      Dorene

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 12, 2005
                        "I will be going to the LDS church where I live."

                        Actually, you want to go to the Family History Center/Centre (FHC) and
                        not the Mormon Temple. You can look up the address and hours of
                        operation on the LDS web site.

                        The film of Slovak church records will take about a month to arrive
                        and it will cost you C$6 for four weeks rental and rental can be
                        renewed.

                        My local FHC closes for vacation for most of July.