RE: [S-R] Travel In Slovakia

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3 6:24 AM
      I, too, recommend renting a car. It makes it very easy to travel from
      village to village that way, and your timetable is your own. It also allows
      you to explore places that might not have been on your original itinerary.
      However, I would caution that insurance can be very high if you travel
      across borders.
      Janet
    • D. Radmacher
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 6 7:54 AM
        Noreen: I hadn't thought of renting a car. They do drive on the right hand side of the road don't they? Is there a lot of traffic? I would be nervous driving in big cities but think I might be okay in the rural areas.

        Since you have done this, do you have any suggestions on places to see that shouldn't be missed? We plan to go to the Tatra Mtns for a few days and have a place to stay there. Our main point of interest is Trstena where my grandparents originated from. I have very little information on them other than their names and a general time when they left there.

        We also plan to go to Kracow while there. Other than that our plans are flexible.

        Thanks for your advice.

        Dorene
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6 7:58 AM
          Dear John: one of the women who is traveling with us has heard that second-class train travel is very uncomfortable. Can you please tell me, what exactly is the difference between first and second class train travel? Do they bring animals on second class like she was told?

          Dorene
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6 10:49 AM
            1) SLOVAK MAP
            The best map book is Podrobny Auto Atlas, scale 1:100,000. That's
            the best way to plan your Slovak route.

            2) There are several instances of Trstena. I assume you are talking
            about the one near the Polish border and near Tvrdosin on the
            Oravica River.

            3) GENEALOGY
            If you haven't already researched the old church records for
            Trstena, you should do so before you go. That way, you will have
            something to talk about with your cousins.

            CENTER (FHC)
            nationally. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate
            church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to
            the LDS web site:

            LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
            deaths for Trstená, Slovakia, formerly Trsztena, Árva, Hungary.

            Krstení 1763-1771 Zomrelí 1763-1771 Krstení 1793-1821 Birmovaní 1794
            Krstení 1822-1862, 1844-1851, 1863-66 - FHL INTL Film [ 2062254
            Items 2-5 ]

            Krstení 1866-1895 Sobá¹ení 1788-1887 Index k matrike sobá¹ených 1844-
            1886 Sobá¹ení 1887-1899 Zomrelí 1793-1870 - FHL INTL Film [
            2062255 ]

            Zomrelí 1870-1886, 1844-1852, 1887-95 Index k matrike pokrstených
            1822-1950 - FHL INTL Film [ 2062256 Items 1-6 ]

            Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
            to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
            film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
            research.

            TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
            translations.

            LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
            See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
            details.
          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6 3:54 PM
              Dorene,
              I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
              Michael Mojher

              > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
              > Poland

              Dorene,
              have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
              convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
              Noreen

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6 6:32 PM
                Hello John,

                I usually don't like to make comparison between the states and Slovakia, but
                it's necessary to do so here.
                For the most part, the rules of the road are the same as they are here.
                They do one better than America, which is using international traffic signs
                everywhere. It makes driving rules obvious and intuitive. Of course this
                is true for most all European nations. Yes, they drive on the right hand
                side.
                The number of limited access highways in Slovakia is extremely limited. You
                will spend most of your time on improved primary roads, 2-lane, (one in each
                direction), with a line down the middle.

                No, there isn't a lot of traffic, especially compared to the Northeast US,
                Chicago or LA. Remember that Slovakia is about the size of West Virginia,
                with the population of Massachusetts (5 million). The two largest cities,
                Bratislava and Kosice are, from a density point of view, not much larger
                than Cleveland. All the other cities are much, much smaller. Think about
                it, there are over 2,500 villages, most with populations under 1,200 souls.
                Most of the land is countryside.
                I was never in bumper-to-bumper traffic a-la-America. The worst it ever got
                was a couple light cycle delays in the city. Even in the city the traffic
                is not that dense. On the open road you may pass one car per minute or
                longer. The work ethic is strong and they start their days early - busy
                roads by 4 to 5am, especially in the city. Remember, lots of people do not
                have cars, far fewer percentage than in America.

                I found getting in the car and driving to be quite ordinary and uneventful.
                You just have to figure out the gas prices - converting Liters to Gallons
                and Crowns to Dollars. You do however, share the road with all the diesel
                trucks, a rather unpleasantly aromatic journey when they can't be passed for
                dozens of winding miles.

                I only have one beef, and it's about a few "rotten apple" drivers. These
                idiot guys (yes, guys) find it necessary to make three lanes of two in order
                to pass someone. They do this by straddling the middle of the road (yes,
                driving center on the median stripe) and essentially forcing cars on both
                sides off to the side of the road while they pass. I have NEVER heard a
                rational, reasonable explanation for such behavior from otherwise
                intelligent, sober, lack-of-road-rage people. Fortunately, it only happened
                to me a couple of times. I did ride with an unnamed individual who insisted
                on doing this frequently. I finally insisted on driving. Do not let these
                fools deter you from driving.

                Driving in SR was one of the memorable parts of the journey. Especially as
                Americans, being able to come and go as you please, stop on a whim, was
                quite worthwhile. Driving around looking for that long-lost and abandoned
                cemetery in the rain made having the car quite worthwhile, to say nothing of
                making good use of your time.

                Don't forget to stop by a gas station and purchase an "SK" sticker to put on
                your car when you get back to the states!

                Shop around for price. The only other thing about auto rentals is that some
                rental companies either restrict which country travel is permitted to or
                charge a surcharge. May be worthwhile depending on your itinerary.

                Enjoy your trip.

                ______________
                Bill Tarkulich

                > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to
                Kracow,
                > Poland

                Dorene,
                have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
                convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small
                villages.
                Noreen

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • amiak27
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 6 7:14 PM
                  Dorene,

                  I have traveled by train and auto and a bit by bus in Slovakia. The
                  second class cars tend to get crowded on busy days or times, while I
                  suppose the first class are quite a bit less crowded at about 50%
                  more fare. The difference I see is in the upolstery being thicker
                  and cloth instead of plastic. In first class you will not have the
                  opportunity to rub elbows with workers and regular businessmen as
                  you will in second class.

                  From your repeated concerns I would recommend first class. For the
                  difference between $10 and $15 for a ticket your comfort and peace
                  of mind is worth it. I recommend you pay a bit extra for a seat
                  reservation and then follow up by getting on the right train car,
                  compartment and seat.

                  If you ever do decide to get a bit adventurous you can always buy a
                  second class ticket the next time! One of the worst things I did to
                  my mother was answer her question about "how much baggage." My
                  answer was "not more than you can carry", as on that trip I could
                  anticipate I might not be there to carry it for her. The trip and
                  baggage and adventure worked quite well. Oh, and I was there to
                  carry her bigger bag because mine were even smaller.

                  Ron

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "D. Radmacher"

                  03/06/05

                • D. Radmacher
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 6 9:19 PM
                    Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 6 11:22 PM
                      mgmojher@...
                      Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

                      Dorene
                      I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
                      Michael Mojher

                      > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
                      > Poland

                      Dorene,
                      have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
                      convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
                      Noreen

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Peter Pikna
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 6 11:30 PM
                        Dorene,

                        I recommend to you (if you are decided for public transport) visit at first
                        Krakov with direct train from Prague (21,03, arriving to Krakov 5,30 with
                        sleeping carriage), spend a day in Krakow and in the evening go to Trstena
                        (you must four times change) or your relatives can take away from Krakow to
                        Trstena by a car. I can prepare a itinerary for your trips in the High
                        Tatra. I will on a short vacation after 10 days in this region (in the town
                        Namestovo) and I can look for any other form of transport. You can write me
                        on my direct e-mail

                        Peter

                        MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden. http://www.msn.sk/weather
                      • D. Radmacher
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 7 10:40 AM
                          Peter: that would be wonderful. Can you please give me your email address? It doesn't show up on mine.

                          Thank you so much.

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 12 9:20 AM
                            John: thank you for this information. I will be going to the LDS church where I live. I have been there before but not looking for my Slovakian roots, so will do that before I leave. I am such a rank beginner and have so little information, it is difficult to get started.

                            Dorene

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 12 7:18 PM
                              "I will be going to the LDS church where I live."

                              Actually, you want to go to the Family History Center/Centre (FHC) and
                              not the Mormon Temple. You can look up the address and hours of
                              operation on the LDS web site.

                              The film of Slovak church records will take about a month to arrive
                              and it will cost you C$6 for four weeks rental and rental can be
                              renewed.

                              My local FHC closes for vacation for most of July.