Re: [S-R] Travel In Slovakia

  • John Venham
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
      Hello

      I've traveled extensively in the Czech Republic and
      Slovakia.
      I'd suggest that you always travel by an 'Intercity'
      train for long distances such as to Krakow. Also, you
      should be rather comfortable in second class. Be
      aware that ticket prices are broken down into two
      parts: the train ticket and seat reservation.

      On some trains, there may be extra fees....that you
      won't find out about until you're on the train and the
      ticket check comes by. I could never figure out if it
      was a scam or legitimate. The upside is this was very
      rare; and never more than a couple dollars. But it
      did happen on my trip from Krakow to Prague.

      Good Luck!

      John

      --- James McGrath <jamesfrankmcgrath@...> wrote:

      > I don't have experience travelling in Slovakia yet
      > (I
      > hope to remedy that soon), but elsewhere in Central
      > and Eastern Europe I can definitely say that it is
      > less expensive to buy your tickets there (you will
      > need to check whether this can be done on the train,
      > and you'll presumably need some language ability to
      > do
      > this too). Those who know the language and are savvy
      > will buy a ticket only as far as the first stop in
      > the
      > next country if travelling from Austria, and then
      > pay
      > a cheaper price in Slovakia, Hungary, or wherever
      > (does anyone know if you can still do this? It has
      > been a few years since I made this sort of trip).
      > First class can be significantly more comfortable,
      > although it only really makes a difference if the
      > train is crowded - which they often are.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      >
      > James
      >
      > --- "D. Radmacher" <dradmacher@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hello Everyone . . . I and two lady friends are
      > > traveling to Slovakia in September this year and
      > > would like some advice on travel. We have heard
      > > that it is much better to travel by first class
      > > train than by economy class. Is this true? We
      > > travelled economy in Switzerland and it was just
      > > fine but wonder if there is a difference in
      > > Slovakia.
      > >
      > > Also, should we busy a rail pass before we leave
      > > Canada or wait until we get there? We are landing
      > > in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go
      > > Kracow, Poland as well as Austria.
      > >
      > > Dorene

      > protection around
      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      "The Journey is the Reward"

      http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 3, 2005
        I, too, recommend renting a car. It makes it very easy to travel from
        village to village that way, and your timetable is your own. It also allows
        you to explore places that might not have been on your original itinerary.
        However, I would caution that insurance can be very high if you travel
        across borders.
        Janet
      • D. Radmacher
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
          Noreen: I hadn't thought of renting a car. They do drive on the right hand side of the road don't they? Is there a lot of traffic? I would be nervous driving in big cities but think I might be okay in the rural areas.

          Since you have done this, do you have any suggestions on places to see that shouldn't be missed? We plan to go to the Tatra Mtns for a few days and have a place to stay there. Our main point of interest is Trstena where my grandparents originated from. I have very little information on them other than their names and a general time when they left there.

          We also plan to go to Kracow while there. Other than that our plans are flexible.

          Thanks for your advice.

          Dorene
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
            Dear John: one of the women who is traveling with us has heard that second-class train travel is very uncomfortable. Can you please tell me, what exactly is the difference between first and second class train travel? Do they bring animals on second class like she was told?

            Dorene
            I've traveled extensively in the Czech Republic and
            Slovakia.
            I'd suggest that you always travel by an 'Intercity'
            train for long distances such as to Krakow. Also, you
            should be rather comfortable in second class. Be
            aware that ticket prices are broken down into two
            parts: the train ticket and seat reservation.

            On some trains, there may be extra fees....that you
            won't find out about until you're on the train and the
            ticket check comes by. I could never figure out if it
            was a scam or legitimate. The upside is this was very
            rare; and never more than a couple dollars. But it
            did happen on my trip from Krakow to Prague.

            Good Luck!

            John

            --- James McGrath <jamesfrankmcgrath@...> wrote:

            > I don't have experience travelling in Slovakia yet
            > (I
            > hope to remedy that soon), but elsewhere in Central
            > and Eastern Europe I can definitely say that it is
            > less expensive to buy your tickets there (you will
            > need to check whether this can be done on the train,
            > and you'll presumably need some language ability to
            > do
            > this too). Those who know the language and are savvy
            > will buy a ticket only as far as the first stop in
            > the
            > next country if travelling from Austria, and then
            > pay
            > a cheaper price in Slovakia, Hungary, or wherever
            > (does anyone know if you can still do this? It has
            > been a few years since I made this sort of trip).
            > First class can be significantly more comfortable,
            > although it only really makes a difference if the
            > train is crowded - which they often are.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > James
            >
            > --- "D. Radmacher" <dradmacher@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Hello Everyone . . . I and two lady friends are
            > > traveling to Slovakia in September this year and
            > > would like some advice on travel. We have heard
            > > that it is much better to travel by first class
            > > train than by economy class. Is this true? We
            > > travelled economy in Switzerland and it was just
            > > fine but wonder if there is a difference in
            > > Slovakia.
            > >
            > > Also, should we busy a rail pass before we leave
            > > Canada or wait until we get there? We are landing
            > > in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go
            > > Kracow, Poland as well as Austria.
            > >
            > > Dorene

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            "The Journey is the Reward"

          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
              1) SLOVAK MAP
              The best map book is Podrobny Auto Atlas, scale 1:100,000. That's
              the best way to plan your Slovak route.

              2) There are several instances of Trstena. I assume you are talking
              about the one near the Polish border and near Tvrdosin on the
              Oravica River.

              3) GENEALOGY
              If you haven't already researched the old church records for
              Trstena, you should do so before you go. That way, you will have
              something to talk about with your cousins.

              CENTER (FHC)
              nationally. It is also necessary to know the religion. To locate
              church records for Slovakia, knowing the village/town name, go to
              the LDS web site:

              LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages and
              deaths for Trstená, Slovakia, formerly Trsztena, Árva, Hungary.

              Krstení 1763-1771 Zomrelí 1763-1771 Krstení 1793-1821 Birmovaní 1794
              Krstení 1822-1862, 1844-1851, 1863-66 - FHL INTL Film [ 2062254
              Items 2-5 ]

              Krstení 1866-1895 Sobá¹ení 1788-1887 Index k matrike sobá¹ených 1844-
              1886 Sobá¹ení 1887-1899 Zomrelí 1793-1870 - FHL INTL Film [
              2062255 ]

              Zomrelí 1870-1886, 1844-1852, 1887-95 Index k matrike pokrstených
              1822-1950 - FHL INTL Film [ 2062256 Items 1-6 ]

              Center (FHC) and determine their hours of operation. You will need
              to go there in person to order the film(s). In about a month, the
              film will arrive and you can book a film reader and begin your
              research.

              TRANSLATION OF CHURCH RECORDS
              translations.

              LDS also has a pretty good translation guide which you can download.
              See forums.delphiforums.com/iarelative/messages message #3931.1 for
              details.
            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                Dorene,
                I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
                Michael Mojher

                > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
                > Poland

                Dorene,
                have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
                convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
                Noreen

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                  Hello John,

                  I usually don't like to make comparison between the states and Slovakia, but
                  it's necessary to do so here.
                  For the most part, the rules of the road are the same as they are here.
                  They do one better than America, which is using international traffic signs
                  everywhere. It makes driving rules obvious and intuitive. Of course this
                  is true for most all European nations. Yes, they drive on the right hand
                  side.
                  The number of limited access highways in Slovakia is extremely limited. You
                  will spend most of your time on improved primary roads, 2-lane, (one in each
                  direction), with a line down the middle.

                  No, there isn't a lot of traffic, especially compared to the Northeast US,
                  Chicago or LA. Remember that Slovakia is about the size of West Virginia,
                  with the population of Massachusetts (5 million). The two largest cities,
                  Bratislava and Kosice are, from a density point of view, not much larger
                  than Cleveland. All the other cities are much, much smaller. Think about
                  it, there are over 2,500 villages, most with populations under 1,200 souls.
                  Most of the land is countryside.
                  I was never in bumper-to-bumper traffic a-la-America. The worst it ever got
                  was a couple light cycle delays in the city. Even in the city the traffic
                  is not that dense. On the open road you may pass one car per minute or
                  longer. The work ethic is strong and they start their days early - busy
                  roads by 4 to 5am, especially in the city. Remember, lots of people do not
                  have cars, far fewer percentage than in America.

                  I found getting in the car and driving to be quite ordinary and uneventful.
                  You just have to figure out the gas prices - converting Liters to Gallons
                  and Crowns to Dollars. You do however, share the road with all the diesel
                  trucks, a rather unpleasantly aromatic journey when they can't be passed for
                  dozens of winding miles.

                  I only have one beef, and it's about a few "rotten apple" drivers. These
                  idiot guys (yes, guys) find it necessary to make three lanes of two in order
                  to pass someone. They do this by straddling the middle of the road (yes,
                  driving center on the median stripe) and essentially forcing cars on both
                  sides off to the side of the road while they pass. I have NEVER heard a
                  rational, reasonable explanation for such behavior from otherwise
                  intelligent, sober, lack-of-road-rage people. Fortunately, it only happened
                  to me a couple of times. I did ride with an unnamed individual who insisted
                  on doing this frequently. I finally insisted on driving. Do not let these
                  fools deter you from driving.

                  Driving in SR was one of the memorable parts of the journey. Especially as
                  Americans, being able to come and go as you please, stop on a whim, was
                  quite worthwhile. Driving around looking for that long-lost and abandoned
                  cemetery in the rain made having the car quite worthwhile, to say nothing of
                  making good use of your time.

                  Don't forget to stop by a gas station and purchase an "SK" sticker to put on
                  your car when you get back to the states!

                  Shop around for price. The only other thing about auto rentals is that some
                  rental companies either restrict which country travel is permitted to or
                  charge a surcharge. May be worthwhile depending on your itinerary.

                  Enjoy your trip.

                  ______________
                  Bill Tarkulich

                  > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to
                  Kracow,
                  > Poland

                  Dorene,
                  have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
                  convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small
                  villages.
                  Noreen

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • amiak27
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                    Dorene,

                    I have traveled by train and auto and a bit by bus in Slovakia. The
                    second class cars tend to get crowded on busy days or times, while I
                    suppose the first class are quite a bit less crowded at about 50%
                    more fare. The difference I see is in the upolstery being thicker
                    and cloth instead of plastic. In first class you will not have the
                    opportunity to rub elbows with workers and regular businessmen as
                    you will in second class.

                    From your repeated concerns I would recommend first class. For the
                    difference between $10 and $15 for a ticket your comfort and peace
                    of mind is worth it. I recommend you pay a bit extra for a seat
                    reservation and then follow up by getting on the right train car,
                    compartment and seat.

                    If you ever do decide to get a bit adventurous you can always buy a
                    second class ticket the next time! One of the worst things I did to
                    my mother was answer her question about "how much baggage." My
                    answer was "not more than you can carry", as on that trip I could
                    anticipate I might not be there to carry it for her. The trip and
                    baggage and adventure worked quite well. Oh, and I was there to
                    carry her bigger bag because mine were even smaller.

                    Ron

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "D. Radmacher"

                    03/06/05

                  • D. Radmacher
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                      Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                        mgmojher@...
                        Michael . . . please give me your direct email address and I will write directly to you. Thank you for the offer.

                        Dorene
                        I just picked up on your travel inquiry. I have made four trips to Slovakia. From the High Tatras east I am very familiar with the area. If you would like to write me directly and give me details of where you would be starting from and where you are ending your trip. I can give you suggestions of sights to see and more. I spent three weeks last month in Slovakia.
                        Michael Mojher

                        > We are landing in Prague and traveling from there and plan to go to Kracow,
                        > Poland

                        Dorene,
                        have you considered renting a car for part of your visit? With the
                        convenience of a car, i was able to travel to family cemeteries and small villages.
                        Noreen

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Peter Pikna
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jun 6, 2005
                          Dorene,

                          I recommend to you (if you are decided for public transport) visit at first
                          Krakov with direct train from Prague (21,03, arriving to Krakov 5,30 with
                          sleeping carriage), spend a day in Krakow and in the evening go to Trstena
                          (you must four times change) or your relatives can take away from Krakow to
                          Trstena by a car. I can prepare a itinerary for your trips in the High
                          Tatra. I will on a short vacation after 10 days in this region (in the town
                          Namestovo) and I can look for any other form of transport. You can write me
                          on my direct e-mail

                          Peter

                          MSN Pocasie vam umozni naplanovat si den a tyzden. http://www.msn.sk/weather
                        • D. Radmacher
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jun 7, 2005
                            Peter: that would be wonderful. Can you please give me your email address? It doesn't show up on mine.

                            Thank you so much.

                            Message 13 of 17 , Jun 12, 2005
                              John: thank you for this information. I will be going to the LDS church where I live. I have been there before but not looking for my Slovakian roots, so will do that before I leave. I am such a rank beginner and have so little information, it is difficult to get started.

                              Dorene

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 12, 2005
                                "I will be going to the LDS church where I live."

                                Actually, you want to go to the Family History Center/Centre (FHC) and
                                not the Mormon Temple. You can look up the address and hours of
                                operation on the LDS web site.

                                The film of Slovak church records will take about a month to arrive
                                and it will cost you C$6 for four weeks rental and rental can be
                                renewed.

                                My local FHC closes for vacation for most of July.