Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Translation Help

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
      In a message dated 3/9/0 6:10:52 PM, memlane@... writes:

      Hi Phyllis -

      I will reply in your message in caps - it's based on my knowledge of
      Slovak

      << Krstitelj: Ivan Stupar, Admin. (I would assume this is who performed
      the baptism)
      YES - SOMETHING LIKE CHRISTENER - THEY USE THE WHEN
      DESCRIBING ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

      Zimmermann: I think this is possibly an occupation.

      On the last line it has: Opomba (which I believe means remarks or
      comments). The response is Umrl 28.1.1874 - This is a baptism
      certificate for a brother we didn't know existed. He was baptized on
      23.april 1873 and I'm wondering if he possibly died on 28.1.1874. I
      can't find the word Umrl anywhere. IN SLOVAK UMREL OR UMREM - DIED - LOOKS
      LIKE YOU HAVE THE BIRTH DATE AND THEN THE DEATH DATE.

      Pfarrer: This appears to be a title after a name. FARAR IN SLOVAK MEANS
      PASTOR OR PRIEST

      This is on a death certificate: It asks for Priimek,ime,stan,vera
      umrlega. MAYBE FIRST NAME, SURNAME, LAND OWNED - THE PL ZEMLJAK IS LIKELY A
      HALF OF SOME MEASURE OF LAND. The response is the name and faith (kat). I
      don't know what
      "stan" is or the response which appears to be "polzemljak". On another
      certificate I have the word "Zemljak" . A WHOLE MEASURE OF LAND OWNED. And
      yet another says bivsi 1/4
      zemljak, 1/4 MEASURE OF LAND OWNED obcinski cuvaj THIS ??

      Also on the death certificate it asks for Rojstni dan in kraj. The
      response is 61 let MAYBE HOW MANY YEARS LIVED IN THIS COUNTRY (KRAJ)

      The Illness or cause of death is : Rak v zelodcu. Rak appears to be
      "Cancer" but what about the rest of the description. ZALUDEK IS STOMACH IN
      SLOVAK - SO MAYBE STOMACH

      The next line is Previden ali ne - Provisus and the response is
      previden. I translated that to be "cautious-careful or not". Is that
      correct and does that mean something like accidental or natural death?

      zupnik: this appears to be a title after a name. ZUPA WAS A COUNTY SO MAYBE
      COUNTY ADMINISTRATOR

      These are on a marriage certificate: ledig
      33 Jahre 33 YEARS
      OF AGE
      (under the groom)
      34 Jahre 34 YEARS
      OF AGE
      (under the bride)

      On the line that appears to be a place to list the father and mother -
      under the father's column it says "Expositus Trgesti 29.1.1838" and
      nothing under the mother.

      Schmid (appears to be an occupation?) BLACKSMITH?

      posestnikov sin (appears to be another occupation) (Owners son??) >>

      OTHER POSSESSIONS OR HOLDINGS??

      helene
    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2000
        I will piggyback on Helene's answer with a few more words translated
        from the German. Since Helene used my way of separating words CAPS and
        <<>>, I will list them here:

        Zimmermann: occupation of roofing or framing carpenter
        Pfarrer: priest or minister.
        I would swear let is 'years' but in SLovak special usage or Lithuanian I
        cannot say.
        ledig: single (fits well with the marriage certificate)
        Schmid: Smith or Blacksmith
        THose are the German words. I can't comment on the Slovak, but it looks
        like Helene took care of that part!

        Ron

      • joe@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2000
          I think everything's been answered on this except zupnik. In Croatian,
          a zupnik is a parish priest, it probably means the same in Slovenian.

          Joe Armata
          joe@...