RE: [S-R] Katarzyna Wrobel

  • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
      "Katarzyna Wrobel" is a Polish spelling (Catherine Sparrow), as that
      part of Ukraine was under Polish rule for a long time, then under
      Austrian rule. "W" in Polish is pronounced like "v", and the "o" in
      Wrobel has an accent over it, making it pronounced the same as "u", so
      that accounts for the other spellings of Wrubel (probably a German
      spelling) and Vrubel (English spelling).

      Unfortunately there are several villages called Sloboda that were in
      Ukrainian Galicia, so more info would be needed to track down the
      right one. But on the Ellis Island Manifest, the entries above and
      below Katarzyna refer to other Ruthenians coming from Sloboda and
      Cieplice. They might have travelled together, which would mean those
      villages should be near each other.

      And in fact in SE Poland, just east of Lezajsk, there are two villages
      Sloboda and Cieplice right near each other. But I'm not sure whether
      those villages were Ukrainian/Ruthenian, maybe someone on the list
      would know exactly how far to the west the Ukrainian population
      extended from the Polish/Ukrainian border there. Also, there might be
      villages in Ukraine called Sloboda and Cieplice (prob spelled
      something like Teplyce) near each other.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
        Just a followup: I found a map that confirms that this Sloboda
        and Cieplice (spelled Teplyci in Ukrainian) just east of Lezajsk
        were majority Ukrainian villages. Just before WW2, Sloboda had a
        Ukrainian population of 410 out of 440 residents, and Teplyci had
        2680 out of 3630.

        Joe