Translation Help

  • memlane@ckt.net
    Message 1 of 59 , Mar 9, 2000
      Could someone help with some words I need translated? I received
      several wonderful documents from the Archives at Ljubljana and have been
      able to translate most of them with my Slovene-American dictionary
      although some I cannot find.

      Krstitelj: Ivan Stupar, Admin. (I would assume this is who performed
      the baptism)

      Zimmermann: I think this is possibly an occupation.

      On the last line it has: Opomba (which I believe means remarks or
      comments). The response is Umrl 28.1.1874 - This is a baptism
      certificate for a brother we didn't know existed. He was baptized on
      23.april 1873 and I'm wondering if he possibly died on 28.1.1874. I
      can't find the word Umrl anywhere.

      Pfarrer: This appears to be a title after a name.

      This is on a death certificate: It asks for Priimek,ime,stan,vera
      umrlega. The response is the name and faith (kat). I don't know what
      "stan" is or the response which appears to be "polzemljak". On another
      certificate I have the word "Zemljak" . And yet another says bivsi 1/4
      zemljak, obcinski cuvaj

      Also on the death certificate it asks for Rojstni dan in kraj. The
      response is 61 let

      The Illness or cause of death is : Rak v zelodcu. Rak appears to be
      "Cancer" but what about the rest of the description.

      The next line is Previden ali ne - Provisus and the response is
      previden. I translated that to be "cautious-careful or not". Is that
      correct and does that mean something like accidental or natural death?

      zupnik: this appears to be a title after a name.

      These are on a marriage certificate: ledig
      33 Jahre
      (under the groom)
      34 Jahre
      (under the bride)

      On the line that appears to be a place to list the father and mother -
      under the father's column it says "Expositus Trgesti 29.1.1838" and
      nothing under the mother.

      Schmid (appears to be an occupation?)

      posestnikov sin (appears to be another occupation) (Owners son??)

      Thanks in advance for any help anyone can be. I'd also like to say to
      all genealogists who are looking for records in Slovenia. I have found
      that what I receive from their archives are much more complete than what
      I found here in America. I'm amazed at what all one can learn from just
      one little document. It's been wonderful for our family to fill in lots
      of blanks. It is time consuming and at $10.00 per certificate can get
      expensive but it's definitely worth it for all the information I have
      received. Thanks again for any help I can get on this.

      Phyllis
    • MGMojher
      Message 59 of 59 , Oct 6, 2014
        Eugene,
            In the 1995 Slovak Census the surnames Kladzan and Szkladani only have one listing each. Kladzan in eastern Slovakia, Michalovce, and Szklandani in western Slovakia, Bratislava.
            Family Search had no listing for Szklandani in Vinne. It did have some Kladzan in Vinne among 1353 listings for Kladzan - https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=75&query=%2Bsurname%3AKladzan~%20%2Brecord_country%3A%22Slovakia%22

            Your Hladky in the 1995 census:
        Priezvisko HLADKY sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 2×, celkový počet lokalít: 2, v lokalitách:
        ŽIHÁREC,  okr. GALANTA (od  r. 1996 ŠAĽA) – 1×;
        VINNÉ,  okr. MICHALOVCE – 1×;

            Your Pikula in the 1995 census had 92 listings in 37 locations. The one that may be of interest to you is - LASTOMÍR,  okr. MICHALOVCE  that had 6 Pikula finds.

        Priezvisko PIKULA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 92×, celkový počet lokalít: 37, najčastejšie výskyty v lokalitách:

            The census had no listing for Labadov, one alternative was given -
        Priezvisko LABANOV sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 1×, celkový počet lokalít: 1, v lokalitách:
        HOLÍČ,  okr. SENICA (od  r. 1996 SKALICA) – 1×;

        Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 5:43 AM
        Subject: [S-R] Re: Translation Help

        An interesting name, "Georgius Szkladani " and year "1783" which caught my attention and  leaves me to wonder, given the rarity of the surname itself, if there might be a connection in any way between it and the "Kladzan" surname of my ancestor, Joannes Kladzan, found in the RC church records of village Vinne, Slovakia,1828, the year and place of his birth and baptism. The "Kladzan" spelling survived in my branch of the family until 1910 when it suddenly appeared as "Klodzen" in the US Census of that year. For us it's remained that way ever since, another branch of the family continues the "Kladzan" spelling .

        Eugene Klodzen
        Researching KLADZAN, HLADKY, PIKULA, LABADOV