RE: [S-R] Katarzyna Wrobel

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      Galicia was a former province of Austria. It is due north and northeast of
      Slovakia, the southeastern-most section of today's Poland and portions of
      Today's Ukraine. Ruthenian is her ethnicity. Today it is called Rusyn.
      Rusyns from Poland are nowadays called Lemko. Rusyns from Ukraine section of
      Galicia are usually called HUTSUL/HUCUL, sometimes BOYKO, depending exactly
      where the village is situated.

      A great place to start is here http://www.lemko.org/

      You will need to dive into Polish research groups, largely because they know
      how to get at the data. However, remember, your GGM is NOT ethnic Polish.
      For that, you need to read about the Lemkos.

      Most Lemkos were tragically purged from the region after WWII, their
      villages burned. http://www.lemko.org/general.html

      Excellent resources:
      http://www.polishroots.com/ Poland

      http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/ Rusyns
      http://www.ubermodel.com/society-rusyn.htm Rusyn
      http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/ Rusyns

      when the going gets tough, here is a Galicia mailing list with very
      knowledgeable members:

      Look for your village in either Poland or Ukraine. A good start will be to
      look here
      this resource will show both present-day and former (most useful) names. I
      note that SLOBODA is found in both Poland and Ukraine. Click on the
      coordinates for each village possibility and it will take you to a
      present-day map. If she said Ukraine, I would believe her. Unfortunately,
      there are many villages named SLOBODA in Ukraine. Look for one in the
      Carpathian Mountains. More clues are needed. Neighboring village names are
      most helpful. Other nearby place names: rivers, streams, mountain peaks.
      Alternately type of livelihood, religion, language can be helpful.

      You can also find others from the same village on manifests and try to trace
      them back. See my "sticky theory"
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/eidb_strategies.htm#sticky

      I am not well versed on these lands, so it would be folly for me to help you
      locate your village.
      But the references I provide do offer some very credible, helpful resources.

      VRUBEL, WRUBEL, both are correct, depends on the language rendered in.

      Good Luck,

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
        The German "W" is pronounced like a "V". Perhaps her name was changed from
        the original "W" to "V" because of the way she pronounced it. When you
        looked at the Ellis Island record, was she able to read and write? If not,
        she may not have understood the change. If she was later married in the US
        she may have continued using the "V" spelling.

        Frank

        My greatgrandmother came to the United States in 1906. Ellis Island
        lists her name as Katarzyna Wrobel. E.I. manifest states place of
        residence Sloboda and she is Galician, Ruthernan. My Grandfathers
        birth certificate states his mother was from Austria and listed her
        maiden name as Wrubel. Her marriage certificate says Vrubel. Any
        ideas where to start? What might be the the most accurate spelling of
        her surname?
        Where is this region and what would be the name of the village today?
        Any help would be appreciated. She always told family she was from
        the Ukraine.
        Thanks,
        Karen Earls

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
          "Katarzyna Wrobel" is a Polish spelling (Catherine Sparrow), as that
          part of Ukraine was under Polish rule for a long time, then under
          Austrian rule. "W" in Polish is pronounced like "v", and the "o" in
          Wrobel has an accent over it, making it pronounced the same as "u", so
          that accounts for the other spellings of Wrubel (probably a German
          spelling) and Vrubel (English spelling).

          Unfortunately there are several villages called Sloboda that were in
          Ukrainian Galicia, so more info would be needed to track down the
          right one. But on the Ellis Island Manifest, the entries above and
          below Katarzyna refer to other Ruthenians coming from Sloboda and
          Cieplice. They might have travelled together, which would mean those
          villages should be near each other.

          And in fact in SE Poland, just east of Lezajsk, there are two villages
          Sloboda and Cieplice right near each other. But I'm not sure whether
          those villages were Ukrainian/Ruthenian, maybe someone on the list
          would know exactly how far to the west the Ukrainian population
          extended from the Polish/Ukrainian border there. Also, there might be
          villages in Ukraine called Sloboda and Cieplice (prob spelled
          something like Teplyce) near each other.

          Joe

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
            Just a followup: I found a map that confirms that this Sloboda
            and Cieplice (spelled Teplyci in Ukrainian) just east of Lezajsk
            were majority Ukrainian villages. Just before WW2, Sloboda had a
            Ukrainian population of 410 out of 440 residents, and Teplyci had
            2680 out of 3630.

            Joe