Katarzyna Wrobel

  • swekearls
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
      Hello,

      My greatgrandmother came to the United States in 1906. Ellis Island
      lists her name as Katarzyna Wrobel. E.I. manifest states place of
      residence Sloboda and she is Galician, Ruthernan. My Grandfathers
      birth certificate states his mother was from Austria and listed her
      maiden name as Wrubel. Her marriage certificate says Vrubel. Any
      ideas where to start? What might be the the most accurate spelling of
      her surname?
      Where is this region and what would be the name of the village today?
      Any help would be appreciated. She always told family she was from
      the Ukraine.
      Thanks,
      Karen Earls
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
        Galicia was a former province of Austria. It is due north and northeast of
        Slovakia, the southeastern-most section of today's Poland and portions of
        Today's Ukraine. Ruthenian is her ethnicity. Today it is called Rusyn.
        Rusyns from Poland are nowadays called Lemko. Rusyns from Ukraine section of
        Galicia are usually called HUTSUL/HUCUL, sometimes BOYKO, depending exactly
        where the village is situated.

        A great place to start is here http://www.lemko.org/

        You will need to dive into Polish research groups, largely because they know
        how to get at the data. However, remember, your GGM is NOT ethnic Polish.
        For that, you need to read about the Lemkos.

        Most Lemkos were tragically purged from the region after WWII, their
        villages burned. http://www.lemko.org/general.html

        Excellent resources:
        http://www.polishroots.com/ Poland

        http://www.carpatho-rusyn.org/ Rusyns
        http://www.ubermodel.com/society-rusyn.htm Rusyn
        http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/ Rusyns

        when the going gets tough, here is a Galicia mailing list with very
        knowledgeable members:

        Look for your village in either Poland or Ukraine. A good start will be to
        look here
        this resource will show both present-day and former (most useful) names. I
        note that SLOBODA is found in both Poland and Ukraine. Click on the
        coordinates for each village possibility and it will take you to a
        present-day map. If she said Ukraine, I would believe her. Unfortunately,
        there are many villages named SLOBODA in Ukraine. Look for one in the
        Carpathian Mountains. More clues are needed. Neighboring village names are
        most helpful. Other nearby place names: rivers, streams, mountain peaks.
        Alternately type of livelihood, religion, language can be helpful.

        You can also find others from the same village on manifests and try to trace
        them back. See my "sticky theory"
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/eidb_strategies.htm#sticky

        I am not well versed on these lands, so it would be folly for me to help you
        locate your village.
        But the references I provide do offer some very credible, helpful resources.

        VRUBEL, WRUBEL, both are correct, depends on the language rendered in.

        Good Luck,

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2005
          This is also helpful in learning about Galicia
          http://emol.org/zucker/genealogy/galiciaeurope.html

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
            The German "W" is pronounced like a "V". Perhaps her name was changed from
            the original "W" to "V" because of the way she pronounced it. When you
            looked at the Ellis Island record, was she able to read and write? If not,
            she may not have understood the change. If she was later married in the US
            she may have continued using the "V" spelling.

            Frank

            My greatgrandmother came to the United States in 1906. Ellis Island
            lists her name as Katarzyna Wrobel. E.I. manifest states place of
            residence Sloboda and she is Galician, Ruthernan. My Grandfathers
            birth certificate states his mother was from Austria and listed her
            maiden name as Wrubel. Her marriage certificate says Vrubel. Any
            ideas where to start? What might be the the most accurate spelling of
            her surname?
            Where is this region and what would be the name of the village today?
            Any help would be appreciated. She always told family she was from
            the Ukraine.
            Thanks,
            Karen Earls

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Armata, Joseph R. (JArmata)
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
              "Katarzyna Wrobel" is a Polish spelling (Catherine Sparrow), as that
              part of Ukraine was under Polish rule for a long time, then under
              Austrian rule. "W" in Polish is pronounced like "v", and the "o" in
              Wrobel has an accent over it, making it pronounced the same as "u", so
              that accounts for the other spellings of Wrubel (probably a German
              spelling) and Vrubel (English spelling).

              Unfortunately there are several villages called Sloboda that were in
              Ukrainian Galicia, so more info would be needed to track down the
              right one. But on the Ellis Island Manifest, the entries above and
              below Katarzyna refer to other Ruthenians coming from Sloboda and
              Cieplice. They might have travelled together, which would mean those
              villages should be near each other.

              And in fact in SE Poland, just east of Lezajsk, there are two villages
              Sloboda and Cieplice right near each other. But I'm not sure whether
              those villages were Ukrainian/Ruthenian, maybe someone on the list
              would know exactly how far to the west the Ukrainian population
              extended from the Polish/Ukrainian border there. Also, there might be
              villages in Ukraine called Sloboda and Cieplice (prob spelled
              something like Teplyce) near each other.

              Joe

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
                Just a followup: I found a map that confirms that this Sloboda
                and Cieplice (spelled Teplyci in Ukrainian) just east of Lezajsk
                were majority Ukrainian villages. Just before WW2, Sloboda had a
                Ukrainian population of 410 out of 440 residents, and Teplyci had
                2680 out of 3630.

                Joe