scanning lots of photos

  • maureen pulignano
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2005
      Bill, I second this suggestion. When we landed in my grandfather's village in Ukraine in 1999, the pictures began streaming out of everywhere in my cousin's house. She laid them out on the dining table and we began taking photos of them - handheld with a 1997 Sony Mavica! You can do FAR better than that with equipment available today. If there are notations on the back, just shoot those too! For best quality, set up a mini tripod that you can buy for about $10 and line a little box with dark fabric.

      Many of the "old photos" in my gallery at www.pbase.com/the 2003 trip were done this way, although in a very hurried fashion. You will do much better, I am sure!

      Maureen
      Atlanta, Georgia
      www.deefalt.com

      Bill, the fastest way to scan or copy that many pictures is to take
      close-up photos of them with a good digital camera. You can take the photos
      as close as 10 inches away and the quality is as good as a scanner's. I
      used this to copy hundreds of old pictures of my children and they came out
      great. Give it a try at home first.
      Ed Klenovich