Re: [S-R] OT: Scanning many snapshots

  • Ed
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2005
      From: Bill Tarkulich
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, May 28, 2005 7:33 PM
      Subject: [S-R] OT: Scanning many snapshots

      Hi Gang,

      Need a scanner suggestion. I want to quickly scan several hundred of my

      ______________
      Bill, the fastest way to scan or copy that many pictures is to take close-up photos of them with a good digital camera. You can take the photos as close as 10 inches away and the quality is as good as a scanner's. I used this to copy hundreds of old pictures of my children and they came out great. Give it a try at home first.
      Ed Klenovich

      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2005
        You must use a tripod or something to stabilize the camera?

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Message 3 of 5 , May 29, 2005
          Interesting idea. What's the downside?

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Message 4 of 5 , May 29, 2005
            Bill,
            The suggestion of using a digital camera is not a bad one. On my trip I took digital pictures of photographs. They turned out very well.
            As the article I sent you suggested, a good copy stand and remote cable can make the process go very quickly once you have it set up. Lighting is another requirement. I found that my camera did very well in just daylight conditions.
            For the size of the photos you are capturing having a camera with a macro ability could prove to be a better setting.
            It would be a faster process than a scanner.
            Michael Mojher

            Message 5 of 5 , May 29, 2005
              Bill,
              When I took my digital pictures of old photos, I didn't have to use a tripod. I set the pictures on a table outside in daylight, but not direct sun. This was good enough to get a fast enough shutter speed to prevent blurs. Give it a try before going away so you can get the feel of it.
              Good luck

              [