Re: Family Line Nicknames in Slovakia

  • John
    Message 1 of 2 , May 27, 2005
      Michael,

      Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. I was in Plavnica back in
      2001. My 2nd cousin lives there, and his son has emailed photos from
      time to time. I had reviewed the LDS tapes and family tree goes back
      to mid 1700's. It was fun to be there - especially so close to the
      Tatras.

      When I was traveling back to Budapest by train a native and I were
      chatting and he said our surname meant some part of tree, though I
      can't remember exactly what. I will ask them if our family has any
      such nicknames.

      John

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@j...>
      wrote:
      > Dear Members,
      > While researching family members in Plavnica City Hall I
      discovered that there is an important piece of genealogy information
      that is not recorded in official records. Yet this information is
      used by the local population and is vital for tracing family members.
      > It is what I would call "Family Line Nicknames". The people of
      a town are very much aware of family lines. When they refer to a
      certain family they will say they are, " surname 'do' nickname."
      The "do" is "to" in Slovak. It is not uncommon in conversation when
      speaking of an individual they will not even use the surname at all.
      Instead just the given and nicknames are used.
      > This is used so all those of the same given name with the same
      surname can be told apart from one another.
      > For myself I discovered that the Mojchers have three
      distinctive family lines and corresponding nicknames. The Rindos line
      I was investigating had four such lines and nicknames.
      > From the Rindos lines I discovered that the nicknames are not
      always complementary. One line's nickname translated
      into "chicken****".
      > The net result is that I couldn't complete my research because
      on one family member because there were too many of "him" and I did
      not know his "do".
      > The consequences are when you contact a City Hall directly for
      information. They may tell you they could not find anything, even
      though in truth the information is there. The problem is there were
      just too many with the same given and surnames for them to take the
      time to search the records. But by having the "do" it could be found
      easily.