Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Looking for information

  • helenezx@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2000
      In a message dated 3/7/0 3:10:06 PM, endotrail@... writes:

      << I am trying to find some information on my family. My
      Great-grandfather was Stephen Czagas. He was born in Hungary and
      married Catherine Cere. >>

      Try to find out where they lived and the church that the family attended
      when they first came to America - this would be a clue - people often came to
      a place where they knew others. Did Stephen become a citizen - his papers or
      declaration of intent should show his birthplace. You need to find out if it
      was what is Hungary today or if it was another place such as what is no
      Slovakia or now part of Romania, etc.

      What did your family call themselves - Slovak, Hungarian? This is important!
      There were colonies of Slovaks living in Hungary such as around Bekesshaba
      for the past 275 years.

      helene
    • jsim
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2000
        Do you know how Mary Jane's family spelled their name? Thought this might
        possibly be them.
        Jim