Re: [S-R] Hungarian Word - Help

  • John Venham
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2005
      Hello

      This is an odd response....but it looks like
      'genderless'. I can find no other possibility in the
      dictionary, but this doesn't seem to fit in the
      occpation column. Perhpas this has some deeper
      meaning that's not obvious.

      Since you're looking at Slovak records, perhaps a
      later date, when the language changes to Slovak, you
      may find a clue to its meaning in Slovak.

      Looking forward to responses from other members on
      this one!

      JV

      --- John Vamos <jvamos@...> wrote:

      > In looking at R.C. church records for Ruskov,
      > Slovakia I see the word "nemtelen", which I have not
      > seen before, in the column for occupation . These
      > records are from the 1850s and in Hungarian, I think
      > - certainly not Latin. Nemtelen appears with
      > reasonable frequency, about as frequently as
      > "zseller", in the pages that I have looked at. I
      > think I understand the definition of zseller. Could
      > nemtelen denote a status such as subinquilinus in
      > Latin? Any help would be appreciated.
      >
      > John Vamos

      > removed]

      "The Journey is the Reward"

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • Helen France
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2005
        Hi,

        Don't know if this helps, but I found this in google:

        " nemtelen strictly means that it does not belong to the nobility. (General)
        nobility in Hungarian is 'nemes'. Non nobility is 'nemtelen', therefore the
        large majority of the common folk were."

        --- John Vamos <jvamos@...> wrote:

        > In looking at R.C. church records for Ruskov,
        > Slovakia I see the word "nemtelen", which I have not
        > seen before, in the column for occupation . These
        > records are from the 1850s and in Hungarian, I think
        > - certainly not Latin. Nemtelen appears with
        > reasonable frequency, about as frequently as
        > "zseller", in the pages that I have looked at. I
        > think I understand the definition of zseller. Could
        > nemtelen denote a status such as subinquilinus in
        > Latin? Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > John Vamos

        > removed]

        "The Journey is the Reward"

        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2005
          These are Magyar words:

          nem - not
          telen - in the winter

          we see this in the 1869 Census also under the read and write question:

          tud = knows how
          nem tude = doesn't know how

          http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx - Mormon's guidebook

          Regarding Feudal terminology

          zseller
          http://www.genealogy.ro/cont/11.htm - Banat was a province of old Hungary,
          thus the terminolgy is generally applicable as are the social constructs.
          http://www.felix-game.ca/html_files/gfarmer2.html
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/social_status.htm

          Bill Tarkulich