Hungarian Word - Help

  • John Vamos
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22, 2005
      In looking at R.C. church records for Ruskov, Slovakia I see the word "nemtelen", which I have not seen before, in the column for occupation . These records are from the 1850s and in Hungarian, I think - certainly not Latin. Nemtelen appears with reasonable frequency, about as frequently as "zseller", in the pages that I have looked at. I think I understand the definition of zseller. Could nemtelen denote a status such as subinquilinus in Latin? Any help would be appreciated.

      John Vamos

    • John Venham
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22, 2005
        Hello

        This is an odd response....but it looks like
        'genderless'. I can find no other possibility in the
        dictionary, but this doesn't seem to fit in the
        occpation column. Perhpas this has some deeper
        meaning that's not obvious.

        Since you're looking at Slovak records, perhaps a
        later date, when the language changes to Slovak, you
        may find a clue to its meaning in Slovak.

        Looking forward to responses from other members on
        this one!

        JV

        --- John Vamos <jvamos@...> wrote:

        > In looking at R.C. church records for Ruskov,
        > Slovakia I see the word "nemtelen", which I have not
        > seen before, in the column for occupation . These
        > records are from the 1850s and in Hungarian, I think
        > - certainly not Latin. Nemtelen appears with
        > reasonable frequency, about as frequently as
        > "zseller", in the pages that I have looked at. I
        > think I understand the definition of zseller. Could
        > nemtelen denote a status such as subinquilinus in
        > Latin? Any help would be appreciated.
        >
        > John Vamos

        > removed]

        "The Journey is the Reward"

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Helen France
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2005
          Hi,

          Don't know if this helps, but I found this in google:

          " nemtelen strictly means that it does not belong to the nobility. (General)
          nobility in Hungarian is 'nemes'. Non nobility is 'nemtelen', therefore the
          large majority of the common folk were."

          --- John Vamos <jvamos@...> wrote:

          > In looking at R.C. church records for Ruskov,
          > Slovakia I see the word "nemtelen", which I have not
          > seen before, in the column for occupation . These
          > records are from the 1850s and in Hungarian, I think
          > - certainly not Latin. Nemtelen appears with
          > reasonable frequency, about as frequently as
          > "zseller", in the pages that I have looked at. I
          > think I understand the definition of zseller. Could
          > nemtelen denote a status such as subinquilinus in
          > Latin? Any help would be appreciated.
          >
          > John Vamos

          > removed]

          "The Journey is the Reward"

          Message 4 of 4 , May 22, 2005
            These are Magyar words:

            nem - not
            telen - in the winter

            we see this in the 1869 Census also under the read and write question:

            tud = knows how
            nem tude = doesn't know how

            http://tinyurl.com/b9qqx - Mormon's guidebook

            Regarding Feudal terminology

            zseller
            http://www.genealogy.ro/cont/11.htm - Banat was a province of old Hungary,
            thus the terminolgy is generally applicable as are the social constructs.
            http://www.felix-game.ca/html_files/gfarmer2.html
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/social_status.htm

            Bill Tarkulich