RE: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2005
      <http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files>
      http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files

      here is a link to the pictures

      David

      _____

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Bill Tarkulich
      Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 9:52 AM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS
      Subject: Re: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

      David,
      Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
      challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
      Bill

      >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
      >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

      >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
      >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
      >
      >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
      >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
      >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
      >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
      >understand.
      >

      >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
      >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
      >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
      >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
      >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
      back
      >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
      >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
      >

      >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
      >

      >David
      >

      > _____

      Slovakia
> [...]
      >> Thanks to all of you that responded to my query. I have lots of
      >> leads
      >> pursue now. I realize that the accent could have made a big difference
      >> in
      >the
      >> hearing and spelling of Zamba. Their village could be all four of
      >> those
      >> listed by Bill.
      >> To Bill:My Dad wanted to get away from his family and left when he
      was
      >17
      >> . He passed away about 11 years ago and never revealed his correct
      >> name
      >of
      >> Valencik or his heritage. I really stared my genealogy after that.
      >> From
      >the
      >> Internet, I have found 2 brothers and a sister(halves) I have one
      >> Aunt in
      >Ohio
      >> and lots of cousins in Pennsylvania. My GGM's maiden name was Walls
      >> or
      >Valls.
      >> GGF (Mihal) came here prior in 1886. His EI record shows Hungary as
      >Place
      >> of Origin. I know they were Catholic but not sure if Roman or
      >> Greek.The
      >other
      >> side of the family was Greek and from Rowna ,CZ. I know it should be
      >> Rovna.No W's in Cz.The 1910 census shows Mike Valencik born in
      >Slovak-Austria and
      >> spoke Slovak. I have both their death certificates. GGF died
      >> 04/26/1935.
      >It
      >> states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in
      >Austria.
      >> GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother
      >> unknown,all
      >born
      >> in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need
      >do
      >> that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search
      >naturalization
      >> records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to
      >> the
      >FHC and
      >> request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many
      >things
      >> to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.
      >> Beverly in WA state

      >> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      >

      > _____
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      >* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!
      ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> Terms of Service.

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      >Yahoo! Groups Links
      >

      >To unsubscribe from this group, go to
      >

      > _____
      >
      >Yahoo! Groups Links

      >* Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

      _____

      Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Frank
      Message 2 of 12 , May 23, 2005
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "David Decker" <maze_r@h...>
        wrote:
        > Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
        Koricina/Vidovic,
        > looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
        >
        > The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the
        other
        > names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
        KONDRC and
        > are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
        at this
        > time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
        hard to
        > understand.
        >

        > On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
        and found
        > someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
        there is
        > a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
        cannot
        > connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany
        area.
        > I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
        generation back
        > compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
        passed away
        > in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
        >

        > So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
        >

        > David
        I can tell you what your surname Koricina was not.
        Not Kurcsina, Kurc^ina, Kurcina, Korchina, nor Korchin^a.

        In 1912 Josef Koricina, age 19, single, farm laborer, Slovak, had
        emigrated to Palmerton PA near Lehigh Gap in Carbon CO PA.
        His closest next of kin was his father János (John) Koricina back at
        Also'Lócz 3 Brestovany.

        Palmerton 1898-1923
        http://apps.libraries.psu.edu/digitalbookshelf/bookindex.cfm?oclc=3040
        4998

        There were 100s of surnames Kadlec and Benadik who had emigrated to US
        so it is extremely difficult to determine if any were your related
        surnames.
        But some surname Vidovic^ bearers had emigrated to US from Brestovany
        and Bucany and elsewhere in Slovakia.

        Frank K

        > _____

      • Curt Bochanyin
        Message 3 of 12 , May 23, 2005
          David,

          Death registries and certificates are a particularly difficult
          genealogical or historical source. Causes of death up until recent
          times are really quite uncertain without careful medical examination
          which ususally was not available or necessary. Usually just some
          symptoms of illness rather than real causes were listed at the time.
          The exceptions are when diseases that are easily recognized, such as
          cholera, are the cause of death. The added difficulty is that the
          lister tried to describe it in Latin that frequently was not very
          adequate.

          So Angina Membra Nacea..... Angina is just pain, though it can mean
          just discomfort or trauma as well, (Angina Pectoris means chest pain).
          Membra is a bodily appendage, usually just an arm or leg(membrana is
          membrane, but this is a different word) as to Nacea, i suspect you
          are misreading the word Nocea, a severe injury. In other words the
          person died after a traumatic injury to a limb.

          Curt B.

          One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
          > understand.

          portions of this message have been removed]
        • Frank
          Message 4 of 12 , May 24, 2005
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@s...>
            wrote:
            > Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra
            Nacea".
            > Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days,
            "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around
            the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is
            probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and
            chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body.
            Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is
            "Nácek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be
            a derivation of "Nácek". So........you can assume this person died
            from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area.
            That would be my best guess.

            According to Valesius and Faesius, Hippocrates 460-377 B.C.(Greek
            physician - father of medicine) referred to any kind of internal
            throat disease with difficult breathing. Those were not only the
            simple anginas, but also the angina gangrenosa, the angina membranacea
            and the angina partides (mumps); only the angina pectoris was
            excepted.
            A convulsive cough, hoarse or croaking, sometimes with danger of
            suffocation, and constriction of the larynx.
            Angina membranacea (one word), was with dry cough and quick
            breathing.

            Frank K

            > Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely
            off. However, this is my best guess.

            > Cheers, Jan
            > Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
            > David,
            > Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
            challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
            > Bill
            >
            > >From: David Decker <maze_r@h...>
            > >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
            > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC
            >
            > >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
            Koricina/Vidovic,
            > >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
            > >
            > >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on
            the other
            > >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
            KONDRC and
            > >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
            at this
            > >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
            hard to
            > >understand.
            > >

            > >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
            and found
            > >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
            there is
            > >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
            cannot
            > >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the
            Bucany area.
            > >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
            generation back
            > >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
            passed away
            > >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
            > >

            > >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
            > >

            > >David
            > >

            > > _____

            Service.