Re: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2005
      Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra Nacea".
      Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days, "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body. Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is "N�cek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be a derivation of "N�cek". So........you can assume this person died from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area. That would be my best guess.

      Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely off. However, this is my best guess.

      Cheers, Jan
      David,
      Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
      Bill

    • David Decker
      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2005
        <http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files>
        http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files

        here is a link to the pictures

        David

        _____

        Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
        challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
        Bill

        >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
        >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
        >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

        >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
        >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
        >
        >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
        >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
        >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
        >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
        >understand.
        >

        >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
        >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
        >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
        >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
        >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
        back
        >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
        >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
        >

        >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
        >

        >David
        >

        > _____

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 12 , May 23, 2005
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "David Decker" <maze_r@h...>
          wrote:
          > Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
          Koricina/Vidovic,
          > looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
          >
          > The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the
          other
          > names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
          KONDRC and
          > are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
          at this
          > time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
          hard to
          > understand.
          >

          > On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
          and found
          > someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
          there is
          > a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
          cannot
          > connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany
          area.
          > I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
          generation back
          > compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
          passed away
          > in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
          >

          > So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
          >

          > David
          I can tell you what your surname Koricina was not.
          Not Kurcsina, Kurc^ina, Kurcina, Korchina, nor Korchin^a.

          In 1912 Josef Koricina, age 19, single, farm laborer, Slovak, had
          emigrated to Palmerton PA near Lehigh Gap in Carbon CO PA.
          His closest next of kin was his father János (John) Koricina back at
          Also'Lócz 3 Brestovany.

          Palmerton 1898-1923
          http://apps.libraries.psu.edu/digitalbookshelf/bookindex.cfm?oclc=3040
          4998

          There were 100s of surnames Kadlec and Benadik who had emigrated to US
          so it is extremely difficult to determine if any were your related
          surnames.
          But some surname Vidovic^ bearers had emigrated to US from Brestovany
          and Bucany and elsewhere in Slovakia.

          Frank K

          > _____

        • Curt Bochanyin
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2005
            David,

            Death registries and certificates are a particularly difficult
            genealogical or historical source. Causes of death up until recent
            times are really quite uncertain without careful medical examination
            which ususally was not available or necessary. Usually just some
            symptoms of illness rather than real causes were listed at the time.
            The exceptions are when diseases that are easily recognized, such as
            cholera, are the cause of death. The added difficulty is that the
            lister tried to describe it in Latin that frequently was not very
            adequate.

            So Angina Membra Nacea..... Angina is just pain, though it can mean
            just discomfort or trauma as well, (Angina Pectoris means chest pain).
            Membra is a bodily appendage, usually just an arm or leg(membrana is
            membrane, but this is a different word) as to Nacea, i suspect you
            are misreading the word Nocea, a severe injury. In other words the
            person died after a traumatic injury to a limb.

            Curt B.

            One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
            > understand.

            portions of this message have been removed]
          • Frank
            Message 5 of 12 , May 24, 2005
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@s...>
              wrote:
              > Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra
              Nacea".
              > Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days,
              "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around
              the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is
              probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and
              chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body.
              Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is
              "Nácek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be
              a derivation of "Nácek". So........you can assume this person died
              from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area.
              That would be my best guess.

              According to Valesius and Faesius, Hippocrates 460-377 B.C.(Greek
              physician - father of medicine) referred to any kind of internal
              throat disease with difficult breathing. Those were not only the
              simple anginas, but also the angina gangrenosa, the angina membranacea
              and the angina partides (mumps); only the angina pectoris was
              excepted.
              A convulsive cough, hoarse or croaking, sometimes with danger of
              suffocation, and constriction of the larynx.
              Angina membranacea (one word), was with dry cough and quick
              breathing.

              Frank K

              > Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely
              off. However, this is my best guess.

              > Cheers, Jan
              > Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
              > David,
              > Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
              challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
              > Bill
              >
              > >From: David Decker <maze_r@h...>
              > >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
              > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC
              >
              > >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
              Koricina/Vidovic,
              > >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
              > >
              > >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on
              the other
              > >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
              KONDRC and
              > >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
              at this
              > >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
              hard to
              > >understand.
              > >

              > >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
              and found
              > >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
              there is
              > >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
              cannot
              > >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the
              Bucany area.
              > >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
              generation back
              > >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
              passed away
              > >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
              > >

              > >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
              > >

              > >David
              > >

              > > _____

              Service.