RE: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 12 , May 22, 2005
      I have them on the computer already so yeap :-)

      Vladmir did the beginning translations of names and b/d information, but
      just wanted to see if I could get anything else off them.

      On another note on one of the pages. I noticed another name of interest
      Hudek. One of the Kondrcs married a Hudek (either there or in Canada
      Toronto to be exact). So I was wondering where the connection happened but
      I guess that might be right there.

      I will have to find a place to post them and will send another msg with
      location.

      Dave

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2005
        Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra Nacea".
        Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days, "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body. Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is "N�cek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be a derivation of "N�cek". So........you can assume this person died from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area. That would be my best guess.

        Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely off. However, this is my best guess.

        Cheers, Jan

      • David Decker
        Message 3 of 12 , May 22, 2005
          <http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files>
          http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files

          here is a link to the pictures

          David

          _____

          Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
          challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
          Bill

          >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
          >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
          >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

          >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
          >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
          >
          >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
          >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
          >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
          >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
          >understand.
          >

          >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
          >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
          >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
          >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
          >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
          back
          >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
          >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
          >

          >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
          >

          >David
          >

          > _____

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 12 , May 23, 2005
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "David Decker" <maze_r@h...>
            wrote:
            > Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
            Koricina/Vidovic,
            > looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
            >
            > The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the
            other
            > names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
            KONDRC and
            > are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
            at this
            > time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
            hard to
            > understand.
            >

            > On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
            and found
            > someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
            there is
            > a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
            cannot
            > connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany
            area.
            > I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
            generation back
            > compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
            passed away
            > in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
            >

            > So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
            >

            > David
            I can tell you what your surname Koricina was not.
            Not Kurcsina, Kurc^ina, Kurcina, Korchina, nor Korchin^a.

            In 1912 Josef Koricina, age 19, single, farm laborer, Slovak, had
            emigrated to Palmerton PA near Lehigh Gap in Carbon CO PA.
            His closest next of kin was his father János (John) Koricina back at
            Also'Lócz 3 Brestovany.

            Palmerton 1898-1923
            http://apps.libraries.psu.edu/digitalbookshelf/bookindex.cfm?oclc=3040
            4998

            There were 100s of surnames Kadlec and Benadik who had emigrated to US
            so it is extremely difficult to determine if any were your related
            surnames.
            But some surname Vidovic^ bearers had emigrated to US from Brestovany
            and Bucany and elsewhere in Slovakia.

            Frank K

            > _____

          • Curt Bochanyin
            Message 5 of 12 , May 23, 2005
              David,

              Death registries and certificates are a particularly difficult
              genealogical or historical source. Causes of death up until recent
              times are really quite uncertain without careful medical examination
              which ususally was not available or necessary. Usually just some
              symptoms of illness rather than real causes were listed at the time.
              The exceptions are when diseases that are easily recognized, such as
              cholera, are the cause of death. The added difficulty is that the
              lister tried to describe it in Latin that frequently was not very
              adequate.

              So Angina Membra Nacea..... Angina is just pain, though it can mean
              just discomfort or trauma as well, (Angina Pectoris means chest pain).
              Membra is a bodily appendage, usually just an arm or leg(membrana is
              membrane, but this is a different word) as to Nacea, i suspect you
              are misreading the word Nocea, a severe injury. In other words the
              person died after a traumatic injury to a limb.

              Curt B.

              One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
              > understand.

              portions of this message have been removed]
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@s...>
                wrote:
                > Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra
                Nacea".
                > Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days,
                "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around
                the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is
                probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and
                chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body.
                Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is
                "Nácek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be
                a derivation of "Nácek". So........you can assume this person died
                from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area.
                That would be my best guess.

                According to Valesius and Faesius, Hippocrates 460-377 B.C.(Greek
                physician - father of medicine) referred to any kind of internal
                throat disease with difficult breathing. Those were not only the
                simple anginas, but also the angina gangrenosa, the angina membranacea
                and the angina partides (mumps); only the angina pectoris was
                excepted.
                A convulsive cough, hoarse or croaking, sometimes with danger of
                suffocation, and constriction of the larynx.
                Angina membranacea (one word), was with dry cough and quick
                breathing.

                Frank K

                > Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely
                off. However, this is my best guess.

                > Cheers, Jan
                > Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                > David,
                > Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
                challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                > Bill
                >
                > >From: David Decker <maze_r@h...>
                > >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
                > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC
                >
                > >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
                Koricina/Vidovic,
                > >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                > >
                > >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on
                the other
                > >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
                KONDRC and
                > >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
                at this
                > >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
                hard to
                > >understand.
                > >

                > >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
                and found
                > >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
                there is
                > >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
                cannot
                > >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the
                Bucany area.
                > >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
                generation back
                > >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
                passed away
                > >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                > >

                > >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                > >

                > >David
                > >

                > > _____

                Service.