RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC, and SUJTOVSKY

  • David Decker
    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2005
      Bill,

      Will have to pull up the census records that Vladmir sent me.

      Also I noticed I had more information on the Vidovic, and a new surname
      again :-).

      Anna Vidovic married Michael Kondrc. Anna was born around 1847 and died
      1876 (before may)

      Her parents where Paval Vidovic and Anna Sujtovsky. No other information
      about that line.

      Well back to my research.

      David

      _____

      Message 2 of 12 , May 22, 2005
        Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
        looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and

        The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
        names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
        are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
        time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
        understand.

        On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
        someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
        a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
        connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
        I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation back
        compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
        in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.

        So back to the drawing board to connect the two.

        David

        _____

        I suggest you locate the village first. Here are several ideas on how to
        locate the village name.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

> [...]

        > 04/26/1935.
        It
        > states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in
        Austria.
        > GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother
        > unknown,all
        born
        > in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need
        do
        > that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search
        naturalization
        > records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to
        > the
        FHC and
        > request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many
        things
        > to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 12 , May 22, 2005
          David,
          Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
          Bill

        • David Decker
          Message 4 of 12 , May 22, 2005
            I have them on the computer already so yeap :-)

            Vladmir did the beginning translations of names and b/d information, but
            just wanted to see if I could get anything else off them.

            On another note on one of the pages. I noticed another name of interest
            Hudek. One of the Kondrcs married a Hudek (either there or in Canada
            Toronto to be exact). So I was wondering where the connection happened but
            I guess that might be right there.

            I will have to find a place to post them and will send another msg with
            location.

            Dave

            _____

            Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
            challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
            Bill

            >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
            >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
            >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

            >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
            >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
            >
            >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
            >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
            >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
            >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
            >understand.
            >

            >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
            >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
            >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
            >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
            >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
            back
            >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
            >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
            >

            >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
            >

            >David
            >

            > _____

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jan Ammann
            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2005
              Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra Nacea".
              Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days, "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body. Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is "N�cek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be a derivation of "N�cek". So........you can assume this person died from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area. That would be my best guess.

              Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely off. However, this is my best guess.

              Cheers, Jan

            • David Decker
              Message 6 of 12 , May 22, 2005
                <http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files>
                http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files

                here is a link to the pictures

                David

                _____

                Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
                challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                Bill

                >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
                >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
                >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

                >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
                >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                >
                >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
                >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
                >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
                >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
                >understand.
                >

                >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
                >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
                >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
                >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
                >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
                back
                >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
                >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                >

                >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                >

                >David
                >

                > _____

                _____

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Frank
                Message 7 of 12 , May 23, 2005
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "David Decker" <maze_r@h...>
                  wrote:
                  > Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
                  Koricina/Vidovic,
                  > looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                  >
                  > The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the
                  other
                  > names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
                  KONDRC and
                  > are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
                  at this
                  > time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
                  hard to
                  > understand.
                  >

                  > On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
                  and found
                  > someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
                  there is
                  > a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
                  cannot
                  > connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany
                  area.
                  > I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
                  generation back
                  > compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
                  passed away
                  > in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                  >

                  > So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                  >

                  > David
                  I can tell you what your surname Koricina was not.
                  Not Kurcsina, Kurc^ina, Kurcina, Korchina, nor Korchin^a.

                  In 1912 Josef Koricina, age 19, single, farm laborer, Slovak, had
                  emigrated to Palmerton PA near Lehigh Gap in Carbon CO PA.
                  His closest next of kin was his father János (John) Koricina back at
                  Also'Lócz 3 Brestovany.

                  Palmerton 1898-1923
                  http://apps.libraries.psu.edu/digitalbookshelf/bookindex.cfm?oclc=3040
                  4998

                  There were 100s of surnames Kadlec and Benadik who had emigrated to US
                  so it is extremely difficult to determine if any were your related
                  surnames.
                  But some surname Vidovic^ bearers had emigrated to US from Brestovany
                  and Bucany and elsewhere in Slovakia.

                  Frank K

                  > _____

                • Curt Bochanyin
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 23, 2005
                    David,

                    Death registries and certificates are a particularly difficult
                    genealogical or historical source. Causes of death up until recent
                    times are really quite uncertain without careful medical examination
                    which ususally was not available or necessary. Usually just some
                    symptoms of illness rather than real causes were listed at the time.
                    The exceptions are when diseases that are easily recognized, such as
                    cholera, are the cause of death. The added difficulty is that the
                    lister tried to describe it in Latin that frequently was not very
                    adequate.

                    So Angina Membra Nacea..... Angina is just pain, though it can mean
                    just discomfort or trauma as well, (Angina Pectoris means chest pain).
                    Membra is a bodily appendage, usually just an arm or leg(membrana is
                    membrane, but this is a different word) as to Nacea, i suspect you
                    are misreading the word Nocea, a severe injury. In other words the
                    person died after a traumatic injury to a limb.

                    Curt B.

                    One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
                    > understand.

                    portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Frank
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra
                      Nacea".
                      > Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days,
                      "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around
                      the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is
                      probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and
                      chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body.
                      Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is
                      "Nácek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be
                      a derivation of "Nácek". So........you can assume this person died
                      from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area.
                      That would be my best guess.

                      According to Valesius and Faesius, Hippocrates 460-377 B.C.(Greek
                      physician - father of medicine) referred to any kind of internal
                      throat disease with difficult breathing. Those were not only the
                      simple anginas, but also the angina gangrenosa, the angina membranacea
                      and the angina partides (mumps); only the angina pectoris was
                      excepted.
                      A convulsive cough, hoarse or croaking, sometimes with danger of
                      suffocation, and constriction of the larynx.
                      Angina membranacea (one word), was with dry cough and quick
                      breathing.

                      Frank K

                      > Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely
                      off. However, this is my best guess.

                      > Cheers, Jan
                      > Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                      > David,
                      > Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
                      challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > >From: David Decker <maze_r@h...>
                      > >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
                      > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC
                      >
                      > >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
                      Koricina/Vidovic,
                      > >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                      > >
                      > >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on
                      the other
                      > >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
                      KONDRC and
                      > >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
                      at this
                      > >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
                      hard to
                      > >understand.
                      > >

                      > >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
                      and found
                      > >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
                      there is
                      > >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
                      cannot
                      > >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the
                      Bucany area.
                      > >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
                      generation back
                      > >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
                      passed away
                      > >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                      > >

                      > >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                      > >

                      > >David
                      > >

                      > > _____

                      Service.