Looking for information

  • endotrail@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 7, 2000
      I am trying to find some information on my family. My
      Great-grandfather was Stephen Czagas. He was born in Hungary and
      married Catherine Cere. Unfortunatly I have been unable to get any
      more information about him or th family. I have talked to my
      granfather and he is uncertain if the spelling of the surname is
      correct. I know that a lot of names were changed when poeple came to
      the U.S. If anyone has any information it would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks
      Charles S. Czagas Jr
    • Mike Belan
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8 7:34 PM
        Hello everyone,

        I have been monitoring this group for a long time and I see people getting
        info on their relatives in Slovakia. I have managed to find my grandmothers
        landing here in 1928. She was meeting her husband as stated on the manifest,
        but I have not found his papers anywhere.

        Can some tell me where they get information from there. My grandfather was
        Pavel Belan who come from Lubenik, near Revuca. I have not been able to find
        any path to information except experts offering to look up information for
        me ( at a cost), is this the only way to get information. Or is there a way
        to get info on the computer.

        I will include what I have been able to find so far. Pavel Belan of Lubenik
        SK, arrived here sometime around 1927, he lived in Windsor ON. Until his
        family joined him Mary (Stanko) Belan. She arrived with her two sons John
        Belan and Dezider Belan. She joined Pavel in Windsor where they bought a
        farm in Leamington ON. Mary died in 1949 from Cancer in St Thomas ON. And is
        buried in Leamington Memorial Cemetery. Pavel died in about 1969 and is
        buried with her. To my knowledge they were Lutheran, and both grew up in
        the town of Lubenik, but I can't find any information if he has any brothers
        or sisters there. I know she had a brother who came over and lived in Galt
        ON, but there was some bad blood there and I can't find out what where or
        why. I would be very beholding if someone can point the way and how to
        gather information on my own.

        Thanks

        Mike Belan.

      • Tonya Harmon
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8 8:07 PM
          Hi Mike, I am in Leamington now. I will ask my relatives, as the name Belan
          is familiar.

          Tonya
          On Aug 8, 2013 10:34 PM, "Mike Belan" <mikebelan1@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I have been monitoring this group for a long time and I see people getting
          > info on their relatives in Slovakia. I have managed to find my grandmothers
          > landing here in 1928. She was meeting her husband as stated on the
          > manifest,
          > but I have not found his papers anywhere.
          >
          > Can some tell me where they get information from there. My grandfather was
          > Pavel Belan who come from Lubenik, near Revuca. I have not been able to
          > find
          > any path to information except experts offering to look up information for
          > me ( at a cost), is this the only way to get information. Or is there a way
          > to get info on the computer.
          >
          > I will include what I have been able to find so far. Pavel Belan of Lubenik
          > SK, arrived here sometime around 1927, he lived in Windsor ON. Until his
          > family joined him Mary (Stanko) Belan. She arrived with her two sons John
          > Belan and Dezider Belan. She joined Pavel in Windsor where they bought a
          > farm in Leamington ON. Mary died in 1949 from Cancer in St Thomas ON. And
          > is
          > buried in Leamington Memorial Cemetery. Pavel died in about 1969 and is
          > buried with her. To my knowledge they were Lutheran, and both grew up in
          > the town of Lubenik, but I can't find any information if he has any
          > brothers
          > or sisters there. I know she had a brother who came over and lived in Galt
          > ON, but there was some bad blood there and I can't find out what where or
          > why. I would be very beholding if someone can point the way and how to
          > gather information on my own.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > Mike Belan.

        • Mike Belan
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8 8:12 PM
            Hi Tonya, The farm they had was on the Hillman side road. John Belan started
            Leamington Coal and Ice, which became Leamington Transport. When he sold
            that he went to work as a realitor in the area. That is what I have so far,
            thanks for the reply, I look forward to your reply.

            Mike

            Hi Mike, I am in Leamington now. I will ask my relatives, as the name Belan
            is familiar.

            Tonya
            On Aug 8, 2013 10:34 PM, "Mike Belan" <mikebelan1@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hello everyone,
            >
            > I have been monitoring this group for a long time and I see people
            > getting info on their relatives in Slovakia. I have managed to find my
            > grandmothers landing here in 1928. She was meeting her husband as
            > stated on the manifest, but I have not found his papers anywhere.
            >
            > Can some tell me where they get information from there. My grandfather
            > was Pavel Belan who come from Lubenik, near Revuca. I have not been
            > able to find any path to information except experts offering to look
            > up information for me ( at a cost), is this the only way to get
            > information. Or is there a way to get info on the computer.
            >
            > I will include what I have been able to find so far. Pavel Belan of
            > Lubenik SK, arrived here sometime around 1927, he lived in Windsor ON.
            > Until his family joined him Mary (Stanko) Belan. She arrived with her
            > two sons John Belan and Dezider Belan. She joined Pavel in Windsor
            > where they bought a farm in Leamington ON. Mary died in 1949 from
            > Cancer in St Thomas ON. And is buried in Leamington Memorial Cemetery.
            > Pavel died in about 1969 and is buried with her. To my knowledge they
            > were Lutheran, and both grew up in the town of Lubenik, but I can't
            > find any information if he has any brothers or sisters there. I know
            > she had a brother who came over and lived in Galt ON, but there was
            > some bad blood there and I can't find out what where or why. I would
            > be very beholding if someone can point the way and how to gather
            > information on my own.
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > Mike Belan.

          • John
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9 5:55 AM
              Certain Canadian arrival records are on the GovCan web site. That will tell you the film number for the records. Viewing the film at a Canadian genealogy library (Toronto) won't tell you a great deal -- you already have that info.

              After 1895, the information that you seek is in civic records offices. It is not online. A viable alternative is to visit the records office, eh.

              No family connection but I will be staying with Belans in Senne, near Michalovce, in September.