Re: [S-R] Surname: KOTASEK, KALAFUT

    Message 1 of 5 , May 20, 2005
      Jennifer,
      1. You village is most probably MARKUSOVCE, Slovakia.
      You can find a navigable map here http://tinyurl.com/ajl6g
      It's in the center of Slovakia, near Spisska Nova Ves.

      2. The Mormons have the church records filmed. Catalog entry: http://tinyurl.com/dpvjg
      More info on Mormon's FHL: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_resources.htm

      3 MORAFKO I cannot comment much on. It may be an old name. Look at maps, especially the 1910 maps. Your MARKUSOVCE was in old Szepes county. See a 1910 map here http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

      4 I would also suggest petitioning the INS/BCIS for their immigration files.
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm#bcis

      5 KOTASEK - there are actually 20 of these in the online phone book. See here http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html for tips
      do not be concerened if they are not in the original village, people moved for employment often in the past 50 years. The spelling might be incorrect, perhaps by a letter here or there.

      6 KALAFUT - Over 80 phone book entries including five in MARKUSOVCE

      František Kalafut SNP , Markušovce
      Ing. Ambróz Kalafút Slovenská , Markušovce
      Jozef Kalafut Brezová , Markušovce
      Mária Kalafutová SNP , Markušovce
      Mária Kalafutová Michalská , Markušovce
      see also http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm if you want to write to them.

      You have a lot to work with. Good Luck!

      Bill Tarkulich

      > From: "Jennifer Martinek" <JenE1215@...>
      > Date: 2005/05/19 Thu AM 08:14:23 EDT
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] Surname: KOTASEK, KALAFUT
      >
      > I am searching for any information on these surnames. The information
      > I have on cities/villages may have the wrong spellings I am not sure.
      > My grandfather JOHN KOTASEK was born in MORAFKO, AUSTRIA on Dec. 10,
      > 1869. His last residence prior to coming over to the states was
      > MARKUSOFCE, HUNGARY.
      >
      > My grandmother MARIA KALAFUT was born in MARKUSOVCE, CZECHOSLOVAKIA on
      > April 16, 1875. She came to America on Nov. 18, 1903 on the vessel SS
      > GROSSER KURFURST.
      >
      > I wanted to locate any information on possibly their parents' names or
      > any relatives that may still be over there.

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mary Johnson

        Message 3 of 5 , May 20, 2005
          good evening,

          KALAFUT was her maiden name. KOTASEK was her married name.

          thanks
          jennifer

        • Gregory J Kopchak
          Message 4 of 5 , May 21, 2005
            Bill:

            You will also find the Kalafut name and records in the nearby Porac register
            too.

            We have some Kalafut family information listed at
            www.iarelative.com/stanisla.htm

            Greg Kopchak

            1. You village is most probably MARKUSOVCE, Slovakia.
            You can find a navigable map here http://tinyurl.com/ajl6g
            It's in the center of Slovakia, near Spisska Nova Ves.

            2. The Mormons have the church records filmed. Catalog entry:
            http://tinyurl.com/dpvjg
            More info on Mormon's FHL: http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_resources.htm

            3 MORAFKO I cannot comment much on. It may be an old name. Look at maps,
            especially the 1910 maps. Your MARKUSOVCE was in old Szepes county. See a
            1910 map here http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

            4 I would also suggest petitioning the INS/BCIS for their immigration files.
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm#bcis

            5 KOTASEK - there are actually 20 of these in the online phone book. See
            here http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html for tips
            do not be concerened if they are not in the original village, people moved
            for employment often in the past 50 years. The spelling might be incorrect,
            perhaps by a letter here or there.

            6 KALAFUT - Over 80 phone book entries including five in MARKUSOVCE

            František Kalafut SNP , Markušovce
            Ing. Ambróz Kalafút Slovenská , Markušovce
            Jozef Kalafut Brezová , Markušovce
            Mária Kalafutová SNP , Markušovce
            Mária Kalafutová Michalská , Markušovce
            see also http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm if you want to
            write to them.

            You have a lot to work with. Good Luck!

            Bill Tarkulich

            > From: "Jennifer Martinek" <JenE1215@...>
            > Date: 2005/05/19 Thu AM 08:14:23 EDT
            > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [S-R] Surname: KOTASEK, KALAFUT
            >
            > I am searching for any information on these surnames. The information
            > I have on cities/villages may have the wrong spellings I am not sure.
            > My grandfather JOHN KOTASEK was born in MORAFKO, AUSTRIA on Dec. 10,
            > 1869. His last residence prior to coming over to the states was
            > MARKUSOFCE, HUNGARY.
            >
            > My grandmother MARIA KALAFUT was born in MARKUSOVCE, CZECHOSLOVAKIA on
            > April 16, 1875. She came to America on Nov. 18, 1903 on the vessel SS
            > GROSSER KURFURST.
            >
            > I wanted to locate any information on possibly their parents' names or
            > any relatives that may still be over there.

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links
            Message 5 of 5 , May 22, 2005
              Hello Greg,

              It's Jennifer who is looking for this information.

              ______________
              Bill Tarkulich

              1. You village is most probably MARKUSOVCE, Slovakia.
              You can find a navigable map here http://tinyurl.com/ajl6g
              It's in the center of Slovakia, near Spisska Nova Ves.

              2. The Mormons have the church records filmed. Catalog entry:
              http://tinyurl.com/dpvjg More info on Mormon's FHL:
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_resources.htm

              3 MORAFKO I cannot comment much on. It may be an old name. Look at maps,
              especially the 1910 maps. Your MARKUSOVCE was in old Szepes county. See a
              1910 map here http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

              4 I would also suggest petitioning the INS/BCIS for their immigration files.
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm
              http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm#bcis

              5 KOTASEK - there are actually 20 of these in the online phone book. See
              here http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html for tips do not be
              concerened if they are not in the original village, people moved for
              employment often in the past 50 years. The spelling might be incorrect,
              perhaps by a letter here or there.

              6 KALAFUT - Over 80 phone book entries including five in MARKUSOVCE

              František Kalafut SNP , Markušovce
              Ing. Ambróz Kalafút Slovenská , Markušovce
              Jozef Kalafut Brezová , Markušovce
              Mária Kalafutová SNP , Markušovce
              Mária Kalafutová Michalská , Markušovce
              see also http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/correspondence.htm if you want to
              write to them.

              You have a lot to work with. Good Luck!

              Bill Tarkulich

              > From: "Jennifer Martinek" <JenE1215@...>
              > Date: 2005/05/19 Thu AM 08:14:23 EDT
              > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [S-R] Surname: KOTASEK, KALAFUT
              >
              > I am searching for any information on these surnames. The information
              > I have on cities/villages may have the wrong spellings I am not sure.
              > My grandfather JOHN KOTASEK was born in MORAFKO, AUSTRIA on Dec. 10,
              > 1869. His last residence prior to coming over to the states was
              > MARKUSOFCE, HUNGARY.
              >
              > My grandmother MARIA KALAFUT was born in MARKUSOVCE, CZECHOSLOVAKIA on
              > April 16, 1875. She came to America on Nov. 18, 1903 on the vessel SS
              > GROSSER KURFURST.
              >
              > I wanted to locate any information on possibly their parents' names or
              > any relatives that may still be over there.

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links