Re: [S-R] ZAMBA

    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2005
      Beverly,
      I'm certain you know by now that the firstmost important piece of info you will need in your search is the village of origin. Here are some ideas on where to find it http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm
      Specifically, I'd suggest writing to the INS (BCIS/Homeland Security) to get a copy of his immigration file. Whether naturalized or not, there should be some data. A really important document is the Alien Registration form all aliens needed to file in 1939. All kinds of family data included. I suggest you write this one now, since the wait for a reply can be more than 12 months. You'll have plenty of time for other things after you get this letter off to the post.

      A great number of death certificates contain erroneous info. Info is only as good as the informant who is often mistaken. It is never verified. So treat these data cautiously and skeptically.

      Another key is that the more time passes between the event and the time the data is provided, the greater the likelyhood is that it is in error.

      Many people (and officials) confused Austria-Hungary dual monarchy on their declarations, so be very cautious when you see "Austria." In fact, Slovakia was a part of the Kingdom of Hungary during this period. "Austria" would have included most of the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Southern Poland, etc. Slovakia was sometimes referred to as "Upper Hungary" or "Slovak-Lands in Hungary", depending on who was talking.

      I would be fairly confident of your GP's surname, Valencik VALENCIK. It has some amount of "ethnic certainty" to it: consisency and complexity being the most important features. Your GM's name WALL/WALLS I would be much more skeptical of, since this name is seen in diverse ranges of population from many nations. Simply put, it's a common name. It is impossible to say if it is a shortened name, Americanized, etc. In fact, there are a few WALL and VALL surnames in the online phone book of Slovakia. http://www.zoznamst.sk We never say never in this business.

      Regarding the village, ROVNA - there is no such contemporary name. I'll check my references later tonight to see if it was an old name no longer in use, which is quite possible. Now, there is a village called ROVNE. The FHL has church books for ROVNE, 1750-1921. http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/fhl_resources.htm
      One Rovne researcher, Jim Nikel made a list of surnames from this village (mined from ship manifests) which I published here http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/settlements/SL_Rovne1.htm

      Regards,
      Bill Tarkulich

      > From: famryd@...
      > Date: 2005/05/19 Thu PM 12:29:25 EDT
      > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [S-R] ZAMBA
      >
      > Hi,
      > Thanks to all of you that responded to my query. I have lots of leads to
      > pursue now. I realize that the accent could have made a big difference in the
      > hearing and spelling of Zamba. Their village could be all four of those
      > listed by Bill.
      > To Bill:My Dad wanted to get away from his family and left when he was 17
      > . He passed away about 11 years ago and never revealed his correct name of
      > Valencik or his heritage. I really stared my genealogy after that. From the
      > Internet, I have found 2 brothers and a sister(halves) I have one Aunt in Ohio
      > and lots of cousins in Pennsylvania. My GGM's maiden name was Walls or Valls.
      > GGF (Mihal) came here prior in 1886. His EI record shows Hungary as Place
      > of Origin. I know they were Catholic but not sure if Roman or Greek.The other
      > side of the family was Greek and from Rowna ,CZ. I know it should be
      > Rovna.No W's in Cz.The 1910 census shows Mike Valencik born in Slovak-Austria and
      > spoke Slovak. I have both their death certificates. GGF died 04/26/1935. It
      > states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in Austria.
      > GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother unknown,all born
      > in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need to do
      > that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search naturalization
      > records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to the FHC and
      > request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many things
      > to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.
      > Beverly in WA state

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • David Decker
      Message 2 of 12 , May 20, 2005
        I am looking for information on the above names:

        KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

        Late last year, Vladmir Bohic (sorry if I misspelled your name) helped me in
        my research of the KONDRC name, which has not brought the above names into
        this circle. I can only guess that they where in or near the Brestovany and
        Bucany by other members in the tree. Any help in narrowing down the search
        would be greatly appreciated.

        David

        _____

> [...]

        Slovak-Austria and
        > spoke Slovak. I have both their death certificates. GGF died 04/26/1935.
        It
        > states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in
        Austria.
        > GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother unknown,all
        born
        > in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need to
        do
        > that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search
        naturalization
        > records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to the
        FHC and
        > request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many
        things
        > to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Message 3 of 12 , May 20, 2005
          I suggest you locate the village first. Here are several ideas on how to
          locate the village name.
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

> [...]

          > 04/26/1935.
          It
          > states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in
          Austria.
          > GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother
          > unknown,all
          born
          > in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need
          do
          > that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search
          naturalization
          > records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to
          > the
          FHC and
          > request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many
          things
          > to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • David Decker
          Message 4 of 12 , May 20, 2005
            Bill,

            Will have to pull up the census records that Vladmir sent me.

            Also I noticed I had more information on the Vidovic, and a new surname
            again :-).

            Anna Vidovic married Michael Kondrc. Anna was born around 1847 and died
            1876 (before may)

            Her parents where Paval Vidovic and Anna Sujtovsky. No other information
            about that line.

            Well back to my research.

            David

            _____

> [...]

            > 04/26/1935.
            It
            > states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in
            Austria.
            > GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother
            > unknown,all
            born
            > in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need
            do
            > that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search
            naturalization
            > records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to
            > the
            FHC and
            > request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many
            things
            > to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • David Decker
            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2005
              Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
              looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and

              The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
              names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
              are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
              time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
              understand.

              On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
              someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
              a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
              connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
              I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation back
              compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
              in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.

              So back to the drawing board to connect the two.

              David

              _____

> [...]

              > 04/26/1935.
              It
              > states his father was Michael Valencik , mother unknown ,all born in
              Austria.
              > GGM's states died 11/28/1929,father's name Jos. Walls, mother
              > unknown,all
              born
              > in Austria. I have not researched marriage or church records. I need
              do
              > that. I don't think they ever became citizens. I did search
              naturalization
              > records when visiting Pennsylvania. I have Ancestry but need to go to
              > the
              FHC and
              > request film of the census'. I haven't quite got there yet. Too many
              things
              > to do. Anyhow, Thanks to all your help. It is greatly appreciated.

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 12 , May 22, 2005
                David,
                Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                Bill

              • David Decker
                Message 7 of 12 , May 22, 2005
                  I have them on the computer already so yeap :-)

                  Vladmir did the beginning translations of names and b/d information, but
                  just wanted to see if I could get anything else off them.

                  On another note on one of the pages. I noticed another name of interest
                  Hudek. One of the Kondrcs married a Hudek (either there or in Canada
                  Toronto to be exact). So I was wondering where the connection happened but
                  I guess that might be right there.

                  I will have to find a place to post them and will send another msg with
                  location.

                  Dave

                  _____

                  Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
                  challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                  Bill

                  >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
                  >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
                  >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

                  >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
                  >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                  >
                  >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
                  >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
                  >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
                  >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
                  >understand.
                  >

                  >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
                  >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
                  >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
                  >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
                  >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
                  back
                  >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
                  >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                  >

                  >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                  >

                  >David
                  >

                  > _____

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Jan Ammann
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 22, 2005
                    Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra Nacea".
                    Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days, "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body. Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is "N�cek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be a derivation of "N�cek". So........you can assume this person died from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area. That would be my best guess.

                    Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely off. However, this is my best guess.

                    Cheers, Jan

                  • David Decker
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 22, 2005
                      <http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files>
                      http://exit11.com/v-web/gallery/Family-History-Files

                      here is a link to the pictures

                      David

                      _____

                      Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
                      challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                      Bill

                      >From: David Decker <maze_r@...>
                      >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
                      >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC

                      >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some Koricina/Vidovic,
                      >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                      >
                      >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the other
                      >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for KONDRC and
                      >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand at this
                      >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
                      >understand.
                      >

                      >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new and found
                      >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says there is
                      >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I cannot
                      >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany area.
                      >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a generation
                      back
                      >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc) passed away
                      >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                      >

                      >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                      >

                      >David
                      >

                      > _____

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Frank
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 23, 2005
                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "David Decker" <maze_r@h...>
                        wrote:
                        > Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
                        Koricina/Vidovic,
                        > looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                        >
                        > The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on the
                        other
                        > names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
                        KONDRC and
                        > are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
                        at this
                        > time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
                        hard to
                        > understand.
                        >

                        > On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
                        and found
                        > someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
                        there is
                        > a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
                        cannot
                        > connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the Bucany
                        area.
                        > I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
                        generation back
                        > compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
                        passed away
                        > in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                        >

                        > So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                        >

                        > David
                        I can tell you what your surname Koricina was not.
                        Not Kurcsina, Kurc^ina, Kurcina, Korchina, nor Korchin^a.

                        In 1912 Josef Koricina, age 19, single, farm laborer, Slovak, had
                        emigrated to Palmerton PA near Lehigh Gap in Carbon CO PA.
                        His closest next of kin was his father János (John) Koricina back at
                        Also'Lócz 3 Brestovany.

                        Palmerton 1898-1923
                        http://apps.libraries.psu.edu/digitalbookshelf/bookindex.cfm?oclc=3040
                        4998

                        There were 100s of surnames Kadlec and Benadik who had emigrated to US
                        so it is extremely difficult to determine if any were your related
                        surnames.
                        But some surname Vidovic^ bearers had emigrated to US from Brestovany
                        and Bucany and elsewhere in Slovakia.

                        Frank K

                        > _____

                      • Curt Bochanyin
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 23, 2005
                          David,

                          Death registries and certificates are a particularly difficult
                          genealogical or historical source. Causes of death up until recent
                          times are really quite uncertain without careful medical examination
                          which ususally was not available or necessary. Usually just some
                          symptoms of illness rather than real causes were listed at the time.
                          The exceptions are when diseases that are easily recognized, such as
                          cholera, are the cause of death. The added difficulty is that the
                          lister tried to describe it in Latin that frequently was not very
                          adequate.

                          So Angina Membra Nacea..... Angina is just pain, though it can mean
                          just discomfort or trauma as well, (Angina Pectoris means chest pain).
                          Membra is a bodily appendage, usually just an arm or leg(membrana is
                          membrane, but this is a different word) as to Nacea, i suspect you
                          are misreading the word Nocea, a severe injury. In other words the
                          person died after a traumatic injury to a limb.

                          Curt B.

                          One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its hard to
                          > understand.

                          portions of this message have been removed]
                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 24, 2005
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jan Ammann <janammann@s...>
                            wrote:
                            > Hi David..........I am just going to take a stab at "Angina Membra
                            Nacea".
                            > Angina, of course, means heart. However, in the olden days,
                            "Angina" was also used for children....It can mean "the area around
                            the heart" and not necessarily a heart attack, etc. "Membra" is
                            probably "membrane" which is, of course, what surrounds our heart and
                            chest area.....and is also in other parts of our body.
                            Now......."Nacea"........In czech...there is a similar word and it is
                            "Nácek" which means your "belly....a paunch". I think "nacea" may be
                            a derivation of "Nácek". So........you can assume this person died
                            from some kind of infection, perhaps, in the chest and abdominal area.
                            That would be my best guess.

                            According to Valesius and Faesius, Hippocrates 460-377 B.C.(Greek
                            physician - father of medicine) referred to any kind of internal
                            throat disease with difficult breathing. Those were not only the
                            simple anginas, but also the angina gangrenosa, the angina membranacea
                            and the angina partides (mumps); only the angina pectoris was
                            excepted.
                            A convulsive cough, hoarse or croaking, sometimes with danger of
                            suffocation, and constriction of the larynx.
                            Angina membranacea (one word), was with dry cough and quick
                            breathing.

                            Frank K

                            > Anyway......I am not a "rocket scientist" so I may be completely
                            off. However, this is my best guess.

                            > Cheers, Jan
                            > Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@i...> wrote:
                            > David,
                            > Can you scan and post the images? Every genealogist I know loves a
                            challenge. Besides, ten eyes are always better than two eyes!
                            > Bill
                            >
                            > >From: David Decker <maze_r@h...>
                            > >Date: Sun May 22 11:42:54 CDT 2005
                            > >To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: RE: [S-R] Surnames: KADLEC, BENADIK, KORCINA, VIDOVIC
                            >
                            > >Well it looks like all I have is the Kondrc, and some
                            Koricina/Vidovic,
                            > >looks like Kondrc is from Bucany, and
                            > >
                            > >The other two from Nagy. Have not been able to find anything on
                            the other
                            > >names. Most of the census forms (or whatever they are) are for
                            KONDRC and
                            > >are in Latin. Shows some "cause of death, which I cant understand
                            at this
                            > >time." One is Angina Membra Nacea. Others are so bad written its
                            hard to
                            > >understand.
                            > >

                            > >On a side note I did my usual google of "Kondrc" to see whats new
                            and found
                            > >someone in St. Louis who has "kondrc" line in his family. He says
                            there is
                            > >a Josef Kondrc (the one found on ellisisland but at the moment I
                            cannot
                            > >connect them to us, but from his notes they are also from the
                            Bucany area.
                            > >I know of one Josef in my line at the time, but I think it a
                            generation back
                            > >compared to his. Unfortunatly, great aunt (last known Kondrc)
                            passed away
                            > >in Decemeber and with her probally a lot more information.
                            > >

                            > >So back to the drawing board to connect the two.
                            > >

                            > >David
                            > >

                            > > _____

                            Service.