RE: [S-R] Maps (Maps of Old Hungary)

    Message 1 of 9 , May 19 4:18 AM
      No, they are not available for purchase, but you can download and save them
      on your PC. They are hosted on a server owned by the Cartography department
      of a university in Hungary. If you have the money to spend and really want
      a paper copy, you might want to approach Kinkos or another copy center.
      They have the large-format printers and can create paper copies of these
      image files. Call them first. You may not even need to bring the file,
      just the web address (print this message) and they can look it up. Since
      the maps were published in 1910, copyrights have expired and you are clear
      to copy them.

      Alternately, you can mail order a gazetteer. They are not the same notes
      and they are bit more simplistic in their rendering (no Topo), but can be
      equally helpful to genealogists.

      ATLAS AND GAZETTEER OF HISTORIC HUNGARY 1914, Talma Publishing, Hungary
      (price is presently 45 Euros)
      Great county-by county maps of entire Hungarian Empire circa 1914-17. Index
      of all villages along with 1914 census data: population, ethnicity and
      religion. Magyar place names only. In Magyar, but entirely readable. I
      use it a lot because it also contains the 1910 Census aggregates.
      http://www.talmamedia.com/index.php

      Good Luck,

      Bill Tarkulich