Re: [S-R] Seeking Clues Using US Census Data

  • Joyce & Bill
    Message 1 of 2 , May 17 6:50 PM
      Greetings,

      Interesting post, Bill, to see the way some have used the census information. Like you, I didn't give it much thought until I finished up with the church records. I followed my family, and the people from Jelsava, Gemer County, in the church records, then in the EI records, then to Pittsburgh. I knew various villages tended to settle in different areas for various reasons, but initially I did not know why the people from Jelsava were all going to Allegheny City (today north Pittsburgh), so I started to do some researching on old Allegheny City. Came to discover that Pittsburgh, at the turn of the century, was the largest manufacturer in the country of leather goods, particularly hard leather. Then the pieces of the puzzle fit. Jelsava had a large leather industry also and in the church records a good many were listed as tanners, makers of fine leather for clothes, skinners, etc.

      Found out that William Hays started the industry and in the 1910 census, I found my aunt, who was employed as a domestic for W. Stewart B. Hays. So I looked up the Hays family going back to the 1840 census and followed them up in time. I highly suspect that W. Steward was his grandson and my aunt sort of had "an in" so to speak because of coming from a town of leather workers, many of which were working in the industry in Pittsburgh already.

      But here is the best story yet. My grandmothers uncle came to this country in 1900. His name was Joseph Gettler, and we never knew what happened to the Gettlers. So, using Heritage Quest I did a name search in New York and found him in the 1900 census. I followed the family up in time in the 1910, 1920 and 1930 census. By then I am into the grandson of Joseph and the trail run cold. So I did a search is the SSDI and looked for him. Found him and where he died in Westchester, NY. Then I looked in the NY white pages and found 14 Gettlers, one being a Joseph. Seemed like a good starting point, so I sent off a letter and to make a long story short found all my long lost Gettler family, all 3 living generations. They sent me pictures of their grandfather, father, themselves and their children. Once again a nice neat package as they were in the church records. So now I had every Gettler in our family from 1720 to today. And they were happy to know their genealogy. What a hoot!
      Joyce

      From: Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...>