Re: [S-R] Dzamba - Varadka?

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 9 , May 16, 2005
      > I have been trying to find his Declaration for Naturalization, though
      > have had no luck. From the 1900, 1910, and 1920 census, there is
      > some indication he was Slovak as it is the language listed for his
      > wife on one of the early census.

      Greek Catholics from Varadka were/are virtually without a doubt ethnically &
      linguistically Rusyns, not Slovaks. The census statistics from the village
      tend to support this, and ethnographic studies of the area leave no doubt.
      Varadka and the surrounding area was essentially ethnically homogeneous (all
      Rusyn), anyway. The census stats Bill provided bear this out.

      RDC
    • John
      Message 2 of 9 , May 16, 2005
        I am really confused. I guess genealogy does that. To make matters
        more complicated I saw the following link, and there are several sub-
        categories of Rusyns.

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_peoples

        I will probably check the Census records of the various Dzamba's to
        see if any list Rusyn as their language, or if they list Slovak or
        another language. Should be interesting to see.

        John

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Custer"
        <rcuster@e...> wrote:
        > > I have been trying to find his Declaration for Naturalization,
        though
        > > have had no luck. From the 1900, 1910, and 1920 census, there is
        > > some indication he was Slovak as it is the language listed for his
        > > wife on one of the early census.
        >
        > Greek Catholics from Varadka were/are virtually without a doubt
        ethnically &
        > linguistically Rusyns, not Slovaks. The census statistics from the
        village
        > tend to support this, and ethnographic studies of the area leave no
        doubt.
        > Varadka and the surrounding area was essentially ethnically
        homogeneous (all
        > Rusyn), anyway. The census stats Bill provided bear this out.
        >
        > RDC
      • Richard D. Custer
        Message 3 of 9 , May 16, 2005
          > I will probably check the Census records of the various Dzamba's to
          > see if any list Rusyn as their language, or if they list Slovak or
          > another language. Should be interesting to see.
          >
          > John

          You wouldn't find the term Rusyn on a U.S. census document, nor on an
          immigration record. You would most likely see Ruthenian or Russniak,
          perhaps Russian. However, probably more Rusyns were recorded as Slovak by
          language or nationality on these documents than as Rus-whatever. Some of
          these documents were not consistent for the same individual; on one they may
          be listed as Ruthenian, as Slovak or Czechoslovak on another, perhaps even
          as Austrian or Russian.

          But look on any ethnic or linguistic map of Slovakia and you will see
          Varadka indicated as Rusyn (Ukrainian).

          The best reference sites for Rusyns:

          www.carpatho-rusyn.org
          www.rusyn.org
          www.c-rs.org

          The best concise introduction:
          http://www.rusynmedia.org/Documents/General/c-r_eng.html

          Rusyn genealogy (w/lots of essential links):
          http://www.c-rs.org/gene.htm
          & for all east-Slovakia research:
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

          Books on Rusyns:
          http://www.rusynmedia.org/Links/C-RRC/index.html

          RDC
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 9 , May 16, 2005
            To which I will add, that some people of Rusyn origin who came into eastern
            Slovakia before the 18th century were assimilated into the general Slovak
            population when they converted from Greek Catholic to Evangelical (or
            perhaps also Roman Catholic). I think this happened in my grandfather's
            village and the adjacent cluster of Lutheran locales. There are a lot of
            names ending with -yak, such as my Lutheran great-grandmother Barbara
            Fedoryak, for one thing. I think my own surname may be Ruthenian in origin,
            and I have found one or two people named Vangor in immigration records who
            are identified as Ruthenian.. It's interesting that the Lutheran towns and
            villages occupy a river valley but the immediately adjacent hilly region to
            the east is heavily Greek Catholic.

            > > I will probably check the Census records of the various Dzamba's to
            > > see if any list Rusyn as their language, or if they list Slovak or
            > > another language. Should be interesting to see.
            > >
            > > John
            >
            > You wouldn't find the term Rusyn on a U.S. census document, nor on an
            > immigration record. You would most likely see Ruthenian or Russniak,
            > perhaps Russian. However, probably more Rusyns were recorded as Slovak by
            > language or nationality on these documents than as Rus-whatever. Some of
            > these documents were not consistent for the same individual; on one they
            may
            > be listed as Ruthenian, as Slovak or Czechoslovak on another, perhaps even
            > as Austrian or Russian.
            >
            > But look on any ethnic or linguistic map of Slovakia and you will see
            > Varadka indicated as Rusyn (Ukrainian).
            >
            > The best reference sites for Rusyns:
            >
            > www.carpatho-rusyn.org
            > www.rusyn.org
            > www.c-rs.org
            >
            > The best concise introduction:
            > http://www.rusynmedia.org/Documents/General/c-r_eng.html
            >
            > Rusyn genealogy (w/lots of essential links):
            > http://www.c-rs.org/gene.htm
            > & for all east-Slovakia research:
            > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
            >
            > Books on Rusyns:
            > http://www.rusynmedia.org/Links/C-RRC/index.html
            >
            > RDC

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > --

          • John
            Message 5 of 9 , May 17, 2005
              Richard,

              I searched around for a linguistic map of the region as I am curious
              to see how it looks, and so far have had no luck. I suppose perhaps
              an academic researcher on Slavic studies or one who studies languages
              might have something on this. Do you know of any websites or books
              that detail this?

              Thanks,

            • frank.r.plichta@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 9 , May 17, 2005
                You will a linguistic map in "Historical Atlas" by William R. Shepherd. The
                Fifth Edition, revised in 1926 was published by Henry Holt and Company in
                New Youk. The Eight Edition in 1956 was published by Barnes and Noble,
                Inc., New York.

                There are similar maps in the "Atlas of World History" Edited by R.R.
                Palmer, Published 1957 by Rand McNally & Company, New York, Chicago and San
                Francisco.

                There may be others but these are three in my private library. Check out
                your local public library.

                Frank Rlichta

                I searched around for a linguistic map of the region as I am curious
                to see how it looks, and so far have had no luck. I suppose perhaps
                an academic researcher on Slavic studies or one who studies languages
                might have something on this. Do you know of any websites or books
                that detail this?

                Thanks,
                John

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Custer"
                > You wouldn't find the term Rusyn on a U.S. census document, nor on
                an
                > immigration record. You would most likely see Ruthenian or
                Russniak,
                > perhaps Russian. However, probably more Rusyns were recorded as
                Slovak by
                > language or nationality on these documents than as Rus-whatever.
                Some of
                > these documents were not consistent for the same individual; on one
                they may
                > be listed as Ruthenian, as Slovak or Czechoslovak on another,
                perhaps even
                > as Austrian or Russian.
                >
                > But look on any ethnic or linguistic map of Slovakia and you will
                see
                > Varadka indicated as Rusyn (Ukrainian).
                >
                > The best reference sites for Rusyns:
                >
                > www.carpatho-rusyn.org
                > www.rusyn.org
                > www.c-rs.org
                >
                > The best concise introduction:
                > http://www.rusynmedia.org/Documents/General/c-r_eng.html
                >
                > Rusyn genealogy (w/lots of essential links):
                > http://www.c-rs.org/gene.htm
                > & for all east-Slovakia research:
                > http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/
                >
                > Books on Rusyns:
                > http://www.rusynmedia.org/Links/C-RRC/index.html
                >
                > RDC

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Gil Kubancsek
                Message 7 of 9 , May 17, 2005
                  I found a Slavic Language Map in my files and uploaded it to the PHOTOS section of Slovak-World.

                  I hope you will find it interesting and helpful.

                  Gil K.