Re: [S-R] Wachtenheims

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2005
      Hi Bill...
      Yes, I've been through Jewish Gen and done all that. Ellis Island too, and
      Yad Vashem.

      But I guess I'm speaking of the Hungarian census.........I can't access that.

      Also, I keep reading about people finding church records of births and
      deaths....are there none? I can't seem to access those.

      I don't know of other methods.......

      D. Wachtenheim

      Message 2 of 4 , May 16, 2005
        Read the attached links. They explain the situation.
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

        http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        Yes, I've been through Jewish Gen and done all that. Ellis Island too, and
        Yad Vashem.

        But I guess I'm speaking of the Hungarian census.........I can't access
        that.

        Also, I keep reading about people finding church records of births and
        deaths....are there none? I can't seem to access those.

        I don't know of other methods.......

        D. Wachtenheim

        > What specific online resources are you denied access to?
        >
        > In general, church records are not online, only the catalog entries
        > listing the village name and dates. No names are listed.
        >
        > The Ukraine records are not available online or in the Mormon's FHC.
        > Simply put, the Ukraine government isn't interested in having these
        > data shared publicly. You need to visit their archives or hire an
        > archive to visit on your behalf.
        >
        > Certainly, searching on a surname will lead to many wild goose chases.
        > You are much better served by finding the specific village resources.
        > The unrelated surname can appear in several geographically dispersed
        > areas. You would waste much time looking at each of these.
        >
        > The other thing to note is that the spelling of your surname most
        > inevitably morphed over time, depending on the recording language and
        > other circumstances.
        >
        > I presume you have already exhausted the resources of
        > www.jewishgen.org ?

        Yahoo! Groups Links