RE: [S-R] Wachtenheims

    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2005
      What specific online resources are you denied access to?

      In general, church records are not online, only the catalog entries listing
      the village name and dates. No names are listed.

      The Ukraine records are not available online or in the Mormon's FHC. Simply
      put, the Ukraine government isn't interested in having these data shared
      publicly. You need to visit their archives or hire an archive to visit on
      your behalf.

      Certainly, searching on a surname will lead to many wild goose chases. You
      are much better served by finding the specific village resources. The
      unrelated surname can appear in several geographically dispersed areas. You
      would waste much time looking at each of these.

      The other thing to note is that the spelling of your surname most inevitably
      morphed over time, depending on the recording language and other
      circumstances.

      I presume you have already exhausted the resources of www.jewishgen.org ?

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2005
        Hi Bill...
        Yes, I've been through Jewish Gen and done all that. Ellis Island too, and
        Yad Vashem.

        But I guess I'm speaking of the Hungarian census.........I can't access that.

        Also, I keep reading about people finding church records of births and
        deaths....are there none? I can't seem to access those.

        I don't know of other methods.......

        D. Wachtenheim

        Message 3 of 4 , May 16, 2005
          Read the attached links. They explain the situation.
          http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

          http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

          ______________
          Bill Tarkulich

          Yes, I've been through Jewish Gen and done all that. Ellis Island too, and
          Yad Vashem.

          But I guess I'm speaking of the Hungarian census.........I can't access
          that.

          Also, I keep reading about people finding church records of births and
          deaths....are there none? I can't seem to access those.

          I don't know of other methods.......

          D. Wachtenheim

          > What specific online resources are you denied access to?
          >
          > In general, church records are not online, only the catalog entries
          > listing the village name and dates. No names are listed.
          >
          > The Ukraine records are not available online or in the Mormon's FHC.
          > Simply put, the Ukraine government isn't interested in having these
          > data shared publicly. You need to visit their archives or hire an
          > archive to visit on your behalf.
          >
          > Certainly, searching on a surname will lead to many wild goose chases.
          > You are much better served by finding the specific village resources.
          > The unrelated surname can appear in several geographically dispersed
          > areas. You would waste much time looking at each of these.
          >
          > The other thing to note is that the spelling of your surname most
          > inevitably morphed over time, depending on the recording language and
          > other circumstances.
          >
          > I presume you have already exhausted the resources of
          > www.jewishgen.org ?

          Yahoo! Groups Links