Wachtenheims

  • jump4toys@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2005
      To anyone on the site......

      For some reason, I simply cannot any of the church records, the census
      records, or anything online that is accessable and free. I've done Ellis Island and
      Yad Vashem with success.
      Can anyone who's hunting for their own family take a look and let me know if
      they see the name Wachtenheim?
      My family is from the area that's now Ukraine, it was the Bereq County area
      back then, Czechoslovakia and earlier in the early 1900's it was Hungary.

      Also....I found Wachtenheims in Hungary who are not Jewish, which is
      unusual....I'm thinking they may have converted long ago.
      So if you check church records too.........

      It would be wildly appreciated!

      D. WAchtenheim

      Message 2 of 4 , May 15, 2005
        What specific online resources are you denied access to?

        In general, church records are not online, only the catalog entries listing
        the village name and dates. No names are listed.

        The Ukraine records are not available online or in the Mormon's FHC. Simply
        put, the Ukraine government isn't interested in having these data shared
        publicly. You need to visit their archives or hire an archive to visit on
        your behalf.

        Certainly, searching on a surname will lead to many wild goose chases. You
        are much better served by finding the specific village resources. The
        unrelated surname can appear in several geographically dispersed areas. You
        would waste much time looking at each of these.

        The other thing to note is that the spelling of your surname most inevitably
        morphed over time, depending on the recording language and other
        circumstances.

        I presume you have already exhausted the resources of www.jewishgen.org ?

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        For some reason, I simply cannot any of the church records, the census
        records, or anything online that is accessible and free. I've done Ellis
        Island and
        Yad Vashem with success.
        Can anyone who's hunting for their own family take a look and let me know if

        they see the name Wachtenheim?
        My family is from the area that's now Ukraine, it was the Bereq County area
        back then, Czechoslovakia and earlier in the early 1900's it was Hungary.

        Also....I found Wachtenheims in Hungary who are not Jewish, which is
        unusual....I'm thinking they may have converted long ago.
        So if you check church records too.........

        It would be wildly appreciated!

        D. WAchtenheim

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • jump4toys@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , May 15, 2005
          Hi Bill...
          Yes, I've been through Jewish Gen and done all that. Ellis Island too, and
          Yad Vashem.

          But I guess I'm speaking of the Hungarian census.........I can't access that.

          Also, I keep reading about people finding church records of births and
          deaths....are there none? I can't seem to access those.

          I don't know of other methods.......

          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2005
            Read the attached links. They explain the situation.
            http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm

            http://www.centroconsult.sk/genealogy/census.html

            ______________
            Bill Tarkulich

            Yes, I've been through Jewish Gen and done all that. Ellis Island too, and
            Yad Vashem.

            But I guess I'm speaking of the Hungarian census.........I can't access
            that.

            Also, I keep reading about people finding church records of births and
            deaths....are there none? I can't seem to access those.

            I don't know of other methods.......

            D. Wachtenheim

            > What specific online resources are you denied access to?
            >
            > In general, church records are not online, only the catalog entries
            > listing the village name and dates. No names are listed.
            >
            > The Ukraine records are not available online or in the Mormon's FHC.
            > Simply put, the Ukraine government isn't interested in having these
            > data shared publicly. You need to visit their archives or hire an
            > archive to visit on your behalf.
            >
            > Certainly, searching on a surname will lead to many wild goose chases.
            > You are much better served by finding the specific village resources.
            > The unrelated surname can appear in several geographically dispersed
            > areas. You would waste much time looking at each of these.
            >
            > The other thing to note is that the spelling of your surname most
            > inevitably morphed over time, depending on the recording language and
            > other circumstances.
            >
            > I presume you have already exhausted the resources of
            > www.jewishgen.org ?

            Yahoo! Groups Links