Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] place Darocz? and some surnames

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4 4:40 PM
      Sorry Maura, but I have no particular history book I can recommend. My
      general knowledge comes from reading many history books and the
      specifics I listed are from "Armati Hungarorum" written in German by a
      Hungarian nationalist who wanted to assure history is presented properly
      and accurately. Ironically his history of Hungarians carries a strong
      thread of the history of Slovaks that he seems to dislike so much
      ("so-called Slovaks").

      War histories are boring with a detail of generals and battles. I am
      more interested in how people lived and survived - there is so much more
      to history than battles and statistics. I would love to read a Turkish
      history of their occupation of Hungary and their battles with the
      heathen!

      The best I can recommend is to browse for a history that presents the
      facets of society that you are interested in. On my last trip to
      Slovakia I was driving through northern Czechia (after viewing the
      bridge at Usti nad Labem, currently famous for walling out the gypsies)
      and stopped by a roadside rest to stretch my legs - it turned out to be
      a grove of trees over the site of a mass grave for dead soldiers in
      Napoleons army. Evidently they lost 10,000 soldiers in just one 2 or 3
      day battle and were able to gather 7,000 for the mass grave. That walk
      was so much more real than any of the history books I have read.