P. Banhida

  • Paula
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2005
      Hi All! I haven't posted in awhile but I'm still here. I had an on-
      going confusion about where my gr grandmother was buried at in
      Hungary. Her death notice stated that she was buried according to
      the Reform church and was laid to rest in Banhida cemetery. She died
      in Bekes and was buried the following day. I couldn't figure out why
      she was taken so far (not to mention so fast) to be buried. A friend
      of mine in Hungary wrote to the mayor of Bekes and he in turn
      forwarded the email to Molnarne Dr. Tarkovacs Marta, who did some
      checking for me. The most common Banhida is in Tatabanya BUT, there
      is also a Banhida that is part of Bekes, which is where my
      grandmother's family is from. She gave me the spouses name and her
      parents names, which I already knew, so this is my gr grandmother.
      In part...At this settlement, there's the Reformation cemetery even
      today and your gr grandmother was buried there. I don't know if the
      headstone is still there, if no one kept the rent it's likely not
      there anymore.....
      I did not realize that you have to pay 'rent' on a grave site every
      25 yrs or the body is exhumed so someone else can be buried there.
      What happens to the exhumed body? Any clues? From what I
      understand, this is still going on today.
      I looked at one of the maps (Coat of Arms; Bekes megye, Kingdom of
      Hungary, 1876) I printed off a long time ago and sure enough, just to
      the north of Bekes is a settlement P. Banhida. I have a question, on
      this map the majority of towns have 'P' before the name. What does
      the 'P' stand for?

      Paula