RE: [S-R] Re: Help with village name

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
      Scans are really of a great help to genealogists. Having a half dozen sets
      of eyes is always superior to two eyes. Helps avoid wild goose chases.

      If you setup your scanner adjustments properly, it can come out as good as
      the original, even with the least expensive scanner. Use a high dots per
      inch (DPI) setting, such as 600. If you have a scaling setting, about
      20-40% will do. You should also do a "de-screen" of the image (this adjusts
      for printing methods and/or glossiness.) All of this costs you nothing but
      a couple minutes of your time, since you already have invested in the
      scanner.
      Good Luck.

      ______________
      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
        Thanks, Bill! I will try that.

        Kathi

      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
          Thanks, John!

          I am well acquainted with th FHC and have been searching Hethars, where my
          grandmother was born (Carolina was her younger sister).

          Thanks for giving me the film numbers for Rovne as well as the ones for the
          census. So far I have not ventured into census records, but I guess I should
          start doing that as well.

          Thanks again and have a great week!

          Kathi