Re: [S-R] Re: Help with village name

  • kathiraisa@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
      Hi

      Thanks for the info. It would seem to me that it would be Rovne Trencsen.
      I will have to look more into it.

      Scanning isn't a good alternative as it comes out worse than the original.
      Faxing seems to work better.

      Thanks again.
      Kathi

      In a message dated 4/19/2005 4:29:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      johnqadam@... writes:

      Using the 1828 list of villges, available for viewing at
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ we can hope that you have (at least)
      the first letter right. That provides the following list of
      possibilities that are short names starting with R in the former
      Trencsen Megye = county.

      Radissa, Radola, Radvoszka, Rajecz, Rakova, Rassov, Revfalu, Ribari,
      Ribeny, Roszina, Rovne

      There is also a border village called Revan. See the 1910 map at
      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg
      and look on the lower right edge of the green area near the Nyitra
      River.

      Can you scan or fax the original document?

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
        Scans are really of a great help to genealogists. Having a half dozen sets
        of eyes is always superior to two eyes. Helps avoid wild goose chases.

        If you setup your scanner adjustments properly, it can come out as good as
        the original, even with the least expensive scanner. Use a high dots per
        inch (DPI) setting, such as 600. If you have a scaling setting, about
        20-40% will do. You should also do a "de-screen" of the image (this adjusts
        for printing methods and/or glossiness.) All of this costs you nothing but
        a couple minutes of your time, since you already have invested in the
        scanner.
        Good Luck.

        ______________
        Bill Tarkulich

        johnqadam@... writes:

        Using the 1828 list of villges, available for viewing at
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ we can hope that you have (at least)
        the first letter right. That provides the following list of
        possibilities that are short names starting with R in the former
        Trencsen Megye = county.

        Radissa, Radola, Radvoszka, Rajecz, Rakova, Rassov, Revfalu, Ribari,
        Ribeny, Roszina, Rovne

        There is also a border village called Revan. See the 1910 map at
        http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/trencsen.jpg
        and look on the lower right edge of the green area near the Nyitra
        River.

        Can you scan or fax the original document?

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
          Thanks, Bill! I will try that.

          Kathi

        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2005
            Thanks, John!

            I am well acquainted with th FHC and have been searching Hethars, where my
            grandmother was born (Carolina was her younger sister).

            Thanks for giving me the film numbers for Rovne as well as the ones for the
            census. So far I have not ventured into census records, but I guess I should
            start doing that as well.

            Thanks again and have a great week!

            Kathi