Hello -- new list member

  • gerryp@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 5, 1999
      HI!

      My name is Gerry Prich, and I am from Michigan. I was very impressed to find this list!! I would like to do research on my Paternal Grandfather, George Prich, who immigrated from Czechoslvakia in 1920. He was never very verbal about the family history and my father has a limited knowledge. I do have, surprisingly, a lot to start with, just no experience in how to pick up the trail overseas.
      I have copies of his naturalization paper, a passport document of some type, and even some type of education verification (all of which were, I am assuming, required documents for naturalization.
      From what I have, I have pieced together the following --
      Name -- Juraj Pric
      Born -- July 10, 1893
      From -- Kremnicka, Czechoslovakia

      It appears his mothers name may have been Maria Sliacky, and I'm not sure but his father's name may have been George (Juraj) also.

      He always said that his father and brothers were all killed during the first world war, but I have never been able to verify anything about his family. He also said that he had been part of the troops who surrendered to Russia and he was taken POW to Russia. When he and the others were released -- to my understanding, the communities shunned them because of the surrendering. This is verbal information only -- have never verified.

      My maternal grandfather was born in Romania/Transylvania, and I would also like to work on that one sometime, but I have even less information on him.

      Where do I begin? Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!
    • Ylbrd@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 1999
        In a message dated 7/6/99 12:05:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        gerryp@... writes:

        > From -- Kremnicka, Czechoslovakia, <<

        Gerry try this it will even give you a map...it is in Slovakia
        <A
        HREF="http://www.mapquest.com/cgi-bin/ia_free?width=500&height=300&level=5&lat
        =487000&lng=191333">MapQuest Map Results
        </A>
        <A
        HREF="http://www.jewishgen.org/wconnect/wc.isa?jg~jgsys~shtetl">ShtetlSeeker
        </A>