Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] place Darocz? and some surnames

  • sabinov@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
      Thanks Ron...... I"m now regretting not taking more European history
      courses in college!

      Off hand do you know of a good book dealing with all of this turmoil?

    • Ron Matviyak
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
        Sorry Maura, but I have no particular history book I can recommend. My
        general knowledge comes from reading many history books and the
        specifics I listed are from "Armati Hungarorum" written in German by a
        Hungarian nationalist who wanted to assure history is presented properly
        and accurately. Ironically his history of Hungarians carries a strong
        thread of the history of Slovaks that he seems to dislike so much
        ("so-called Slovaks").

        War histories are boring with a detail of generals and battles. I am
        more interested in how people lived and survived - there is so much more
        to history than battles and statistics. I would love to read a Turkish
        history of their occupation of Hungary and their battles with the
        heathen!

        The best I can recommend is to browse for a history that presents the
        facets of society that you are interested in. On my last trip to
        Slovakia I was driving through northern Czechia (after viewing the
        bridge at Usti nad Labem, currently famous for walling out the gypsies)
        and stopped by a roadside rest to stretch my legs - it turned out to be
        a grove of trees over the site of a mass grave for dead soldiers in
        Napoleons army. Evidently they lost 10,000 soldiers in just one 2 or 3
        day battle and were able to gather 7,000 for the mass grave. That walk
        was so much more real than any of the history books I have read.