help with a town

  • jjeanann2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 19, 2005
      hi i came across some papers and a town called Jaka and Joka
      the only problem is i don't no what country i should look these
      towns up in. does anyone have any ideas? thanks in advance jean
    • Peter Nagy
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 20, 2005
        Jean,

        You are looking for a town called Jaka and Joka, but you do not know the
        country. Do you know the associated surnames, or ethnicity, or denomination?

        In Slovakia there is a village with Hungarian name Joka, now Jelka,
        district Dunajska Streda.
        For more info visit:
        http://www.jelka.sk/

        Good luck

        Peter

        --
        Cilistovska 20
        931 01 Samorin

        tel: +421 31 560 0641
        mobile: +421 905 490 552
        http://www.centroconsult.sk
      • Jeanann Jameson
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 23, 2005
          hi i have been trying to do research on my
          grandparents. my grandfather came from hungary and i
          think my grandmother did also. they lived in lacarak
          and mitocivia sorry about the spelling. recently my
          brother found the name jaka or joka in releation to
          possibly my grandmother but were not sure. so that is
          why i was asking. jean
          --- Peter Nagy <nagy@...> wrote:

          > Jean,
          >
          > You are looking for a town called Jaka and Joka, but
          > you do not know the
          > country. Do you know the associated surnames, or
          > ethnicity, or denomination?
          >
          > In Slovakia there is a village with Hungarian name
          > Joka, now Jelka,
          > district Dunajska Streda.
          > For more info visit:
          > http://www.jelka.sk/
          >
          > Good luck
          >
          > Peter
          >
          > --
          > Cilistovska 20
          > 931 01 Samorin
          > Slovak Republic
          >
          > tel: +421 31 560 0641
          > mobile: +421 905 490 552
          > http://www.centroconsult.sk

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Peter Nagy
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 23, 2005
            Jean,

            I asked you for additional info:

            You wrote:

            > my grandfather came from hungary and i
            > think my grandmother did also. they lived in lacarak
            > and mitocivia sorry about the spelling. recently my
            > brother found the name jaka or joka in releation to
            > possibly my grandmother but were not sure.

            My question concerning the surnames of you grandmother, her ethnicity
            (language she has spoken) and denomination is not known for me. This
            info is very important.

            Peter

            --
            Cilistovska 20
            931 01 Samorin

            tel: +421 31 560 0641
            mobile: +421 905 490 552
            http://www.centroconsult.sk
          • johnqadam
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 24, 2005
              I remember looking these places up in the recent past.They are in
              prsent-day Serbia.

              Lacarak is 47.1 miles WNW of Belgrade at map coordinates 45 00 and 19
              34. Sremska Mitrovica is 44.2 miles WNW of Belgrade at map coordinates
              44 58 and 19 37. These two towns are adjacent. I don't see Jaka/Joka
              but there is Nocaj two villages south.

              CURRENT MAP

              ShtelSeeker will take you there via Mapquest.
            • Jeanann Jameson
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 27, 2005
                hi sorry i misinterepeted your question. my
                grandfathers surname was Rak and my grandmothers
                maiden name i cannot spell correctly and nobody no's
                how to spell it but it sounds like Yellenberger. she
                married young and them her surname was Stienmaker but
                i guess that is spelled wrong too. jean

                http://us.click.yahoo.com/_HGP.B/6WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • tarzantu2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 27, 2005
                  Hi Jean & Peter,
                  I'm sorry I missed your original emails, but Rak caught my eye on this one.

                  To Jean - I have a Walter Rak married to Anna Goldinak (a second marriage
                  for Anna), married in 1947 (I would assume in Chicago). I have nothing else on
                  Walter. Anna was born about 1914 and died about November, 1990. She had a
                  daughter, Rosemarie, born in 1937 from her first marriage (husband unknown).

                  To Peter Nagy - My grandparents, Frank Kalman and Sophia Goldinak had life
                  long friends named Nagy in Elkhart, IN, my hometown. I also have two Nagy
                  families in my neighborhood of Mission, Texas. They are father, Alexander P.
                  Nagy (80's), wife unknown, and son, Robert and Cheryl Nagy, (60's). There are
                  still quite a few Nagys living in Elkhart.

                  Ray Slack

                  Researching the following surnames - Csarnogorsky (sp?), Goldinak, Kalman,
                  Narcis, Vojtecka (likely sp? but listed as Voytick (phonetic sp on dtr's
                  marriage certificate in Elkhart, Indiana), all from Slovakia, Mendenhall, and
                  Wooten from England, and Slack (Slecht, Sleght and various other spellings) from
                  Holland.

                • Jeanann Jameson
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 4, 2005
                    hi thanks for the info i don't no the name of any of
                    my uncles on my grandfathers side, Rak. i no very
                    little sorry this took so long but my computer is down
                    and have to wait for rides to the library. thanks
                    again. oh i no my grandfather spent some time in
                    Youngstown, Ohio. does that help? thanks jean

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • tarzantu2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 4, 2005
                      Hi Jean,
                      I'm not really researching the Rak name, as it was a second marriage, which
                      I don't think produced any children. All I have is his name. Your
                      grandfather's Youngstown connection has no meaning for me since I have no information
                      on this surname.

                      Thanks for your reply and I hope your computer problems are quickly resolved.

                      Ray