Re: Social Security Numbers & DELAYED CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH

  • Jan Ammann
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2005
      Hello......While reading this thread on social security I started remembering what I had to do when my parents were about to retire and did not have "real birth certificates". So I am going to write here what I did and the documentation needed and received. It may be helpful to some.

      First of all, because a lot of people born at the beginning of the 1900's and even into the 30's and 40's did not have their births registered, they had no birth certificate to apply for social security benefits. So the search began..........

      What I secured for them was a "Delayed Birth Certificate" from the state of Texas where we live. And by the way.......a lot of people do not realize there are "delayed birth certificates" registered at the court house. Many years ago, these were kept separately and so if you were looking for a certain birth certificate and looked in the "normal records" you would probably overlook it. Now......in this time......I think they are all "put together". So it always pays to make that second or third trip to the courthouse to search again.

      We had to submit, to the Bureau of Vital Statistics, an application for a "delayed birth certificate" and certain documents were needed. There was a "Certification of Birth Facts" which we took to St. Mary's Church where both of my parents were baptized. Father Bily looked them up in the big, old, and somewhat frayed church books.....Then, on this form, he certified that on Oct. 27, 1911, my mother was born and that she was baptized on Nov. 14, 1911.

      Next came the "Affidavit to Birth Facts" which had to be filled out by a "person who has knowledge of the date of birth, place of birth, and parentage of the registrant and this person had to be "an older blood relative or other person who knew about the birth at the time the birth occured." Well, my grandmother attested to the fact that she gave birth to my mother on Oct. 27, 1911 in Taiton, Texas and that her name was Agnes Aloysia. As she was getting on in age, her handwriting was somewhat large and shaky and as I look at this affidavit I can see her face clearly again. This affidavit had to be notarized by a notary public.

      We also had to send in one of the children's birth certificate....meaning me or either of my two sisters. My birth certificate was used for my mother's application and my older sister's was used for my fathers. Now, on my fathers we also submitted a photocopy of his social security application which he applied for on 6-24-1941 and which we received a copy of on 12-11-1963.

      My mother had never applied for one so this was not sent on her application as supporting documention.

      Then, after a long wait, we received their "Delayed Certificate of Birth". This showed their names, address, parents names...it also showed the supporting documentation and listed them...one by one as I have listed them above.

      On a side note here, we discovered when we went to the church for my dad's certification of birth and baptism, that my Dad had celebrated his birthday on the wrong day for almost 60 years. As we looked over Father's shoulders as he wrote from the original church book, he stopped and glanced up and said, "Did you know that the original birth date was entered in error and changed?" Of course, we had not. So he showed us a scrawled notation (but quite legible) that said, "date of birth of January 5, 1904 entered in error....correct date of birth is January 7, 1904".

      So, we started celebrating his birthday on the 7th. He, however, stuck to the 5th as that was the date he had used for 60 years. So........I thought knowing that there are documents called "Delayed Certificate of Birth" might mean a rexamination of items that many who are doing family history ask for. Even when writing to the State Vital Records or a country courthouse for some of this documentation, always indicate that this may be a "Delayed Certificate of Birth".

      I hope some of this information may help someone. And just a final note to this email......it was ironic that my dad died on January 7, 1989....the day of his birth. He was actually watering his garden at the time. Somehow, I thought it was quite fitting and proper. He was born and died on the very same day.

      Jan

      Bill Tarkulich <bill.tarkulich@...> wrote:Look at the image on this link:
      http://www.ssa.gov/history/ssn/ss5.html
      It is the actual application form. It will answer your questions.