Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] place Darocz? and some surnames

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
      Hi Maura -

      I am sorry to see you received no answers so far. Here is a bit:
      > 2. What civil war are they referring to? I would guess that this little
      > girl would have been born c.1805-1815
      A - the big thing going on around 1812 - 1815 was cleaning up after
      Napoleon. He ran all the way into Russia and fought battles all over,
      including the Czech republic (I stumbled across some of the sites).
      Much of Poland was a part of Russia or Austria at the time, and there
      must have been some battles on their soil as well. I can't get more
      specific without turning to a history book. In addition to that, some
      spots of civil war would have followed locally as the local nobility and
      church would have fought to upset the reforms Napoleon set in place - he
      restructured and modernized much of the old feudal system at the time
      and secularized church lands. Many parts of Europe still trace their
      current law practices to the Napoleonic law, much as we trace ours to
      "English Common Law".

      In 1807 the Serbs revolted, and 5-9 April there was a peasant revolt in
      Szerem county that was "quickly strangled". 22 July 1807 the duchy (?)
      of Warsaw was created. 15 Apr 1809 Napoleon enters Hungary at
      Bratislava. June 1809 French troops cross Hungary from Vienna Newstadt
      - Sopron - Koszeg - Szombathely - Savar to Papa.11 June 1809 the king
      puts down the uprising of the nobles by Gyor after an 8 day siege. The
      peace treaty signed at Schoenbrunn takes the Polish provinces (Galicia)
      away from Austria. 14 March 1812 the king (Frank I or Franz I or Ferenc
      I, the designation sometimes varied from the title he carried as
      emporer) agreeed to supply 12,000 Hungarian troops (of 30,000 total) to
      march with Napoleon against Russia. Troops gathered at Lemberg (Lviv,
      Lvov) and attacked Russia. 1813 Hungary started drafting another 60,000
      troops. In 1815 another 30,000 Hungarians were drafted & the peace of
      Vienna returned Polish Gaicia to Austria. The Serbian uprising was put
      down.
      In 1821 the king called for 90,000 troops from Hungary, which was still
      in areers for the draft quotas of 1813 and 1815. (maybe my proud
      military-avoiding tradition is founded in very deep roots!) (PS for you
      super-patriots - I served, but got out as quickly as I could.)

      I guess the sum of all that is a lot of military activity in Poland and
      Hungary during those years - good luck at tracing it down!

      For military records there are the Krieges Arkiv in Vienna.

      Ron

    • sabinov@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
        Thanks Ron...... I"m now regretting not taking more European history
        courses in college!

        Off hand do you know of a good book dealing with all of this turmoil?

      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4, 2000
          Sorry Maura, but I have no particular history book I can recommend. My
          general knowledge comes from reading many history books and the
          specifics I listed are from "Armati Hungarorum" written in German by a
          Hungarian nationalist who wanted to assure history is presented properly
          and accurately. Ironically his history of Hungarians carries a strong
          thread of the history of Slovaks that he seems to dislike so much
          ("so-called Slovaks").

          War histories are boring with a detail of generals and battles. I am
          more interested in how people lived and survived - there is so much more
          to history than battles and statistics. I would love to read a Turkish
          history of their occupation of Hungary and their battles with the
          heathen!

          The best I can recommend is to browse for a history that presents the
          facets of society that you are interested in. On my last trip to
          Slovakia I was driving through northern Czechia (after viewing the
          bridge at Usti nad Labem, currently famous for walling out the gypsies)
          and stopped by a roadside rest to stretch my legs - it turned out to be
          a grove of trees over the site of a mass grave for dead soldiers in
          Napoleons army. Evidently they lost 10,000 soldiers in just one 2 or 3
          day battle and were able to gather 7,000 for the mass grave. That walk
          was so much more real than any of the history books I have read.