Re: [S-R] Help with village name

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
      I will check my reference books when I get home tonight. Looks like the village is in the Trencin district. What was the year of marriage? Knowing the timeframe helps us, since governments and rules changed during each era.

      Other places to look include:
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

      Bill Tarkulich

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
        Here are some suggestions:

        Googling small village in Slovakia will yield poor results. If the name exists online, it's buried inside the phonebook or map listings, which are not googled. Maps become a genealogists best friend.

        RACICE which is located in Trencin District. Looks like a close match if the handwriting is bad. It is also the closest match.
        See it on a Slovakia map here http://tinyurl.com/cab4r

        The surname FABIK is found in the Slovakia phonebook.
        Here is how to use the phone book http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

        We also have to check for the Magyar spelling of the village. It's possible it is something all together different.

        Here are the phonebook entries. You can generate them yourself. by searching on the surname FABIK and entering area code 032 (Trencin).

        Alžbeta Fábiková Hámry , Trenčianska Turná
        Dušan Fábik Adamovské Kochanovce
        Emília Fábiková Hámry , Trenčianska Turná
        František Fábik K.Šmidkeho , Trenčín
        Helena Fábiková Za Oravcom , Trenčianska Turná
        Igor Fábik J.Kollára , Nové Mesto nad Váhom
        Ján Fábik Švermova , Trenčín
        Ján Fábik Chocholná Velčice
        Ľubomír Fábik Soblahov
        Marta Fábiková Cintorínska , Trenčianska Turná
        Marta Fábiková Nivka , Trenčianska Turná
        Pavel Fábik Trenčianska Turná
        Peter Fábik novostavba , Trenčianska Turná
        Štefan Fábik Gen.Viesta , Trenčín
        Viera Fábiková Malé Stankovce

        Remember, lots of people moved after WWII. That we found FABIK in the Trencin area at all is encouraging.
        I see a lot of Trencianska Turna entries, but this is only a few KM from Trencin.

        That's all I have time for now.
        Good Luck,
        Bill

      • kathiraisa@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 20, 2005
          Hi Bill

          Thank you for all your information and links. Will be looking into it more
          closely. But it seems that the name is/was Rovne Trencsen as per info from
          e-mail posted by John.

          the surname is really spelled FAYBIK. Do you think that it originally could
          have been FABYK? I keep wondering about how to pronounce. I tend to
          pronounce the Slovak names as I would pronounce Portuguese.

          Thanks a lot!
          Kathi

        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 20, 2005
            Thanks, Caye!

            Everyone has helped so much!

            Kathi

            In a message dated 4/19/2005 12:43:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
            ccaswick@... writes:

            Here you go ....

            http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

            Try just "Ravire" -- as Trencin is a city of itself.

            If you get nothing, then try both. It will also lead
            you to a map (and the current name if it has
            changed)if you strike it rich. Good luck.

            Caye

            --- kathiraisa@... wrote:
            > Dear List:
            >
            > One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik,
            > which was, as per their
            > marriage certificate from the village of (what looks
            > like) Ravire Trencsin.
            > I have tried googling this name, with several
            > variations, but nothing comes
            > up.
            >
            > I know that probably nowadays it would have a
            > different name, but I do not
            > know how to look further into this.
            >
            > Can someone help, please?
            >
            > Thanks.
            > Kathi-Raisa Petrick

            > removed]

            http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide

            Give the gift of life to a sick child.
            _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/_HGP.B/6WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM)

          • maria hudek
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
              Hi

              you probably solved it already but if not -
              ravire should mean just word "revir" which means "part" or "suburb" Trencin, not the name, i would just say - it is Trencin.

              Maria

              kathiraisa@... wrote:
              Dear List:

              One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik, which was, as per their
              marriage certificate from the village of (what looks like) Ravire Trencsin.
              I have tried googling this name, with several variations, but nothing comes
              up.

              I know that probably nowadays it would have a different name, but I do not
              know how to look further into this.

              Can someone help, please?

              Thanks.
              Kathi-Raisa Petrick

            • David Decker
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                Maria,

                Would you be related to the Hudeks of Toronto, Canada?

                One of my grandfathers cousins married a hudek, think his name was Joseph
                her name was either Maria or Tonka, cant remember which one at the moment.
                :-). Family name would have been Kondrc

                David

                _____

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
                  Hi David,

                  I dont know ...
                  But faminly name is Hudek or Kondrc?
                  I know that some Hudek family comes also from Bratislava, we come from Trencin (Skalka)
                  They may had moved there form Toronto but I dont think so ;)

                  maria