Re: [S-R] Help with village name

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
      Here you go ....

      http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/

      Try just "Ravire" -- as Trencin is a city of itself.

      If you get nothing, then try both. It will also lead
      you to a map (and the current name if it has
      changed)if you strike it rich. Good luck.

      Caye

      http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
        I will check my reference books when I get home tonight. Looks like the village is in the Trencin district. What was the year of marriage? Knowing the timeframe helps us, since governments and rules changed during each era.

        Other places to look include:
        http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ancestral_village.htm

        Bill Tarkulich

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19, 2005
          Here are some suggestions:

          Googling small village in Slovakia will yield poor results. If the name exists online, it's buried inside the phonebook or map listings, which are not googled. Maps become a genealogists best friend.

          RACICE which is located in Trencin District. Looks like a close match if the handwriting is bad. It is also the closest match.
          See it on a Slovakia map here http://tinyurl.com/cab4r

          The surname FABIK is found in the Slovakia phonebook.
          Here is how to use the phone book http://www.centroconsult.sk/facilities/phonewp.html

          We also have to check for the Magyar spelling of the village. It's possible it is something all together different.

          Here are the phonebook entries. You can generate them yourself. by searching on the surname FABIK and entering area code 032 (Trencin).

          Alžbeta Fábiková Hámry , Trenčianska Turná
          Dušan Fábik Adamovské Kochanovce
          Emília Fábiková Hámry , Trenčianska Turná
          František Fábik K.Šmidkeho , Trenčín
          Helena Fábiková Za Oravcom , Trenčianska Turná
          Igor Fábik J.Kollára , Nové Mesto nad Váhom
          Ján Fábik Švermova , Trenčín
          Ján Fábik Chocholná Velčice
          Ľubomír Fábik Soblahov
          Marta Fábiková Cintorínska , Trenčianska Turná
          Marta Fábiková Nivka , Trenčianska Turná
          Pavel Fábik Trenčianska Turná
          Peter Fábik novostavba , Trenčianska Turná
          Štefan Fábik Gen.Viesta , Trenčín
          Viera Fábiková Malé Stankovce

          Remember, lots of people moved after WWII. That we found FABIK in the Trencin area at all is encouraging.
          I see a lot of Trencianska Turna entries, but this is only a few KM from Trencin.

          That's all I have time for now.
          Good Luck,
          Bill

        • kathiraisa@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 20, 2005
            Hi Bill

            Thank you for all your information and links. Will be looking into it more
            closely. But it seems that the name is/was Rovne Trencsen as per info from
            e-mail posted by John.

            the surname is really spelled FAYBIK. Do you think that it originally could
            have been FABYK? I keep wondering about how to pronounce. I tend to
            pronounce the Slovak names as I would pronounce Portuguese.

            Thanks a lot!
            Kathi

          • kathiraisa@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 20, 2005
              Thanks, Caye!

              Everyone has helped so much!

              Kathi

              --- kathiraisa@... wrote:
              > Dear List:
              >
              > One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik,
              > which was, as per their
              > marriage certificate from the village of (what looks
              > like) Ravire Trencsin.
              > I have tried googling this name, with several
              > variations, but nothing comes
              > up.
              >
              > I know that probably nowadays it would have a
              > different name, but I do not
              > know how to look further into this.
              >
              > Can someone help, please?
              >
              > Thanks.
              > Kathi-Raisa Petrick

              > removed]

              http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide

              Give the gift of life to a sick child.
              _Click Here!_ (http://us.click.yahoo.com/_HGP.B/6WnJAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM)

            • maria hudek
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                Hi

                you probably solved it already but if not -
                ravire should mean just word "revir" which means "part" or "suburb" Trencin, not the name, i would just say - it is Trencin.

                Maria

                kathiraisa@... wrote:
                Dear List:

                One of my grandmother's sisters married Paul Faybik, which was, as per their
                marriage certificate from the village of (what looks like) Ravire Trencsin.
                I have tried googling this name, with several variations, but nothing comes
                up.

                I know that probably nowadays it would have a different name, but I do not
                know how to look further into this.

                Can someone help, please?

                Thanks.
                Kathi-Raisa Petrick

              • David Decker
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 26, 2005
                  Maria,

                  Would you be related to the Hudeks of Toronto, Canada?

                  One of my grandfathers cousins married a hudek, think his name was Joseph
                  her name was either Maria or Tonka, cant remember which one at the moment.
                  :-). Family name would have been Kondrc

                  David

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29, 2005
                    Hi David,

                    I dont know ...
                    But faminly name is Hudek or Kondrc?
                    I know that some Hudek family comes also from Bratislava, we come from Trencin (Skalka)
                    They may had moved there form Toronto but I dont think so ;)

                    maria